TPMS reset psi-for those who got ford to do it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TPMS reset psi-for those who got ford to do it

I have a 2008 F350 4x4. I am about to put an 8" RIZE lift kit on it and oversize tires (37 or 38). I went to ford dealership today to inquire about resetting PSI in tires to 50 instead of 65 or 80. Although guy told me he thought it was against the rules he thought it could be done. As he has seen a place in the IDS where pressures are listed. Here is my question, If I have sensors in the back for 80 and the front for 65 can the sensors be reset or is the computer that is reset and sensors need to be replaced. For example:
He was not sure if the 80 psi sensor in the back was an all or nothing sensor. Does it just measure when the psi is 80 or below but not specific presures? He said there are numerous sensors that ford makes that are different psi: 35, 45, 50, 65, 80. He said if her resets the computer to a lower level like 50 the light may still come on due to a fault because the sensor in the wheel is set up for 80. He said he was just not sure since he had not done it. For those that have gotten a dealership to adjust the pressure how has it worked? Did you have sensors changed, did you have 65 psi sensors in all wheels, or the 65 front and 80 back? Hope this makes sense. I am thinking about just getting sensors(50 psi) with the new tires and wheels so I dont have to mess with taking mine off stock wheels. But dang those things are expensive. I have been told the band have to be replaced if you take off stock wheels. Ford wants $80 for just band. Any truth to that?

Last edited by Mrstacyr; 03-14-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All the sensors are the same. Band type for 08-09, valve stem type for 2010 and newer. The spec on the sticker doesn't matter. The sensor only relays the pressure in the tire to the smart junction box where the thresholds are programmed.

This should be able to be changed by the Ford IDS in Module Programming.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 PM

You can up the pressures using IDS, but you cannot lower them from the factory spec.

I've been through this personally with Ford Tech Hotline on a customers 2011 f350.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
You can up the pressures using IDS, but you cannot lower them from the factory spec.

I've been through this personally with Ford Tech Hotline on a customers 2011 f350.
Of course Ford is going to say "NO!" They'd be in up to their eyeballs in the sticky brown stuff if the Feds caught them saying they can change it.

I haven't confirmed personally if this will work but I've found this same info in two places:

TPMS Adjusted!!!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 03-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
You can set the presor you'll self if you have the thing. It tells you how in the owners manual..
Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Ok...had an 08 in the shop today was using the IDS on it already so I had a boo again to see if I could lower the factory TPMS settings.

Module Programming> Programmable Parameters> Tire Pressure Monitoring System

You get a message stating that the factory setting is the lowest available. It lists that the front sensor pressures start at 65 psi and go all the way up to 110psi. It lists the rear pressures start at 80 psi and go up to 110psi. There were no lower pressure options available in the lists.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
Ok...had an 08 in the shop today was using the IDS on it already so I had a boo again to see if I could lower the factory TPMS settings.

Module Programming> Programmable Parameters> Tire Pressure Monitoring System

You get a message stating that the factory setting is the lowest available. It lists that the front sensor pressures start at 65 psi and go all the way up to 110psi. It lists the rear pressures start at 80 psi and go up to 110psi. There were no lower pressure options available in the lists.
That's what I've seen too.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM

When the message comes up saying factory setting is lowest available, are you trying to do what my link suggests to do and exit out of that warning screen then set it lower than factory settings? I've found 2 of these links saying thats what they did and were able to lower it.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 PM

The warning pops up overtop of the screen with all the pressures listed...it does not change by clicking yes or no.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 AM

Wild..

Here's the other post that says the same thing as the one I linked to above. So how come 2 techs have been able to get past this and program below what the door stickers say?

Dealer reset TPMS for me - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I've talked to my dealer and they are willing to experiment because they know that my summer tires (Toyo MT) are max 65psi and the truck wants 80 rear so we are going to try it in a couple weeks when I put them back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.