6.4l tune for fuel economy only - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4l tune for fuel economy only

Ok, so I have been reading posts and threads concerning tunes for the 6.4L and i'm not planning on taking my truck to the drag strip anytime soon, my question is does anyone know or have a recommendation on a tuner that will clear codes in order to run a dpf delete and straight pipe, but at the same time keep the factory tune for reliability and or a tune geared strictly for economy? Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There's a few that offer a simple Regen Off option where all it does is turn off the Regen function.

Spartan and H&S both do, I think SCT does as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
There's a few that offer a simple Regen Off option where all it does is turn off the Regen function.

Spartan and H&S both do, I think SCT does as well.
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully someone may chime in that has done this and can shed some light on the pros-cons of this type of mod...like I said, I dont plan to run my truck at a drag strip, but would like to increase fuel economy and, if possible, keep the engine as durable as possible as we all know problems can be costly if the vehicle is out of warrenty.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I did the Spartan on my 2008 I tried all the DPF delete tunes and found the 210 hp offered the best MPG, Makes sense that more HP will provide the best economy, how You drive it is up to you, I did the delete and tune on my 2010, and again the 210 HP worked
the best for mpgs, as far as smoke I found that 40 hp produces least smoke at about 2 Mpg less
Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO 2010 PS View Post
When I did the Spartan on my 2008 I tried all the DPF delete tunes and found the 210 hp offered the best MPG, Makes sense that more HP will provide the best economy, how You drive it is up to you, I did the delete and tune on my 2010, and again the 210 HP worked
the best for mpgs, as far as smoke I found that 40 hp produces least smoke at about 2 Mpg less
You say it makes sense that more HP will provide the best economy...why? Seems to me, if I understand the whole tune thing correctly, is that the tunes that create more HP do so by dumping more fuel. Wouldnt that be worse for fuel economy??
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm sure that someone much smarter in this sense than myself will chime in soon, but yes, as long as your right foot isn't heavy you will get better mileage with the higher HP tunes mine went up about 4-7mpg running the 250 tune. Less effort to make by the engine to get the big beast movin.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to stockcar12
i run the 310 tune daily and and get a honest 22 mpg with my crewcab 4x4 and that is with a calculator!! with the higher horsepower tunes the truck is not lugging at all
Old 03-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcar12 View Post
i run the 310 tune daily and and get a honest 22 mpg with my crewcab 4x4 and that is with a calculator!! with the higher horsepower tunes the truck is not lugging at all
22 MPG, wow! I just filled up this afternoon, hand calculated 15.2 mpg. that is mostly city driving as there is a 5 mile strecth of higway that I can run 60-70 mph twice daily. My truck is stock and will remain stock untill my truck reaches 60K. that should give me about a another year stock...plenty of time to read and see how you guys make out with your tuned 6.4's with dpf delete. I am wanting to mod my 6.4L, just dont want to do so until warrenty is up
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberg31 View Post
22 MPG, wow! I just filled up this afternoon, hand calculated 15.2 mpg. that is mostly city driving as there is a 5 mile strecth of higway that I can run 60-70 mph twice daily. My truck is stock and will remain stock untill my truck reaches 60K. that should give me about a another year stock...plenty of time to read and see how you guys make out with your tuned 6.4's with dpf delete. I am wanting to mod my 6.4L, just dont want to do so until warrenty is up
Warranty is a bunch of tomfoolery. About as gay as a tandem bikeride to a pic-nic. I'm on my 3rd Rad at 75k miles and they haven't done anything! Oh! A 'Venturi' T update that didn't do squat!

My truck has 6700 hours BTW, and I finally did my Spartan full exhaust delete a month ago. Have been running the 210 tune, and my wife is getting 100kms more per tank in town so far. Change your Oil and fuel filters properly, that's the most important thing.

Oh! even with the 210 tune, I broke 35" M/T's loose getting going, and squeeled the 2nd gear shift. Do it sooner then later
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

you are going to find a ton of posts on this and get 100 different opinions. My best fuel milage is with the Spartan 350 if I can keep it at 60-65 mph all day. If I speed up or slow down the milage changes a lot. same with the 310 which is my second best milage tune, I dont get sh t for milage with the 210. And I have never gotten any where near 22 mpg with any tune at any speed and trust me I've tried everything. My best is 16.9 using the 350. using the 310 average is about 15mpg. I hand calculate every fill up. when running the 350 and got 16.9mpg my gauge said I was getting 24mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.