Synthetic? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Synthetic?

I'm getting ready to do an oil change and I was wondering if anybody has some input on synthetics. I usually put Lucas in my truck and bus. Just wondering which would be more beneficial, synthetic or regular. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 PM

In my opinion on the powerstroke and the amount of oil it holds combined with the recommended oil being good for around 10,000 miles it would not be a great candidate for synthetics as far as the cost vs the benefit. At least not until some testing time and specially formulated synthetic oil is available.

Oil additives as well as fuel additives could have some effect on the exhaust system functionality, and may cause regeneration problems.
Every kind of fluid in my old 6.5 is synthetic but on this one I'm not sure it's time yet.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPhillips View Post
In my opinion on the powerstroke and the amount of oil it holds combined with the recommended oil being good for around 10,000 miles it would not be a great candidate for synthetics as far as the cost vs the benefit. At least not until some testing time and specially formulated synthetic oil is available.

Oil additives as well as fuel additives could have some effect on the exhaust system functionality, and may cause regeneration problems.
Every kind of fluid in my old 6.5 is synthetic but on this one I'm not sure it's time yet.

Severe duty is 5k miles. The recommended interval of 10k miles is on the high end and most people will likely change their oil before that.

If you tow, change it after 5 or 6k .. if you don't tow, then you can go upto 10k if highway driving.
Ideally with a bypass filteration system and Amsoil you should be able to go about 20k between changes with oil analysis whether you tow or not.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 AM

I use Amsoil in my chevy.

I have check recently and the oil they have is not rated for use in the 6.4.

There should be one formulated in the near future. The case I have at home now is CI-4. Does not stack up to current requirements.

If you exceed 5k or 10k recommended intervals you need oil samples to verify the oils integrity.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
have you checked into Rotella? its a good oil.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 AM

Amsoil does not say have the cert on the bottle, but it exceeds anything else on the market.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The Amsoil 5w40 code DEO is cj4 rated for the new trucks with DPF's FYI
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Cool,

I did not find the cj-4 before. Thanks.

If no problems are found I am thinking about switching to that oil at 10,000 or 15,000 miles if Amsoil recommends it. Also I will switch to the synthetic filter.

At this time I checked their website again. They have not updated their application guide to show any recommendations for the 6.4. Maybe they have just not updated the site. I have contacted them and will post their answer for the 6.4 recommendations, however the rating alone should be enough.

Their DEO 5w40 oil is also a lot cheaper than the Amsoil HDD I am using now. $64.80 vs $87.00 per case (12 qts). Although the AME is only $58.80.

On another note: It don't matter how good it is if it's not CJ-4 or higher it's not formulated for the 6.4 and will void the warranty. Amsoil would not recommend and would surely discourage their other oils for the 6.4.

Last edited by DavidPhillips; 07-23-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Be very carefull. Use only CJ4 rated oil. Make sure it is clearly marked. I have found very few oils that are rated CJ4. I have been told that if there is a problem with the engine that is the first thing that will be checked.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Thumbs down re: synthetic oil

No, no and no. Don't use it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.