is high rpm hwy running harmful? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is high rpm hwy running harmful?

my rig has 4.30s in it. so at 70mph it's running right around 2300rpm. the speed limit out here is 70 between here and CA and 75 between here and UT. if read correctly, the redline on this motor is 3700? will i hurt this motor by running it 70-75 for long periods of time? i wouldn't think so, but i just wanted some of your opinions. also, if the cutoff is at 3700rpm why doesn't the truck run the motor to that point before shifting when i run it hard? it seems to shift at 3200rpm or maybe just over. normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
The 3700 rpm redline is there for going downhill and using the engine to help brake the truck. When you look at dynos of this engine, the power really drops off after 3k, so you really have nothing to gain by running the engine at those speeds.

The engine should have no problem running at 2300 rpm. I would make sure to keep an eye on the coolant and make sure you test the coolant to make sure it is within Ford's spec's (nitrite levels and anti-cavitation additives) as the higher speeds mean faster running water pump.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
The Silent Service

I have 4:30's in my truck, with a considerable number of highway miles running around 65-70 mph. 70 is around 2300rpms for my truck as well, and I will open it up and run 75/2500rpms when the law allows. I haven't had any issues that I feel were brought about running those speeds.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look at equipment such as farm and construction.

Red line on most is 3000 rpm's and they operate near red line for hours at a time.

I say your fine
Old 03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ive seen several overspeed test engines that revved to 3700 for anywhere from 500 to 1000 cycles without significant wear
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
The engine should have no problem running at 2300 rpm. I would make sure to keep an eye on the coolant and make sure you test the coolant to make sure it is within Ford's spec's (nitrite levels and anti-cavitation additives) as the higher speeds mean faster running water pump.
So true, its very important to keep an eye on this.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 AM

thanx for the input, much appreciated!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Sum View Post
The 3700 rpm redline is there for going downhill and using the engine to help brake the truck. When you look at dynos of this engine, the power really drops off after 3k, so you really have nothing to gain by running the engine at those speeds.

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but what would you say is the optimum rpm to run a 6.4L for an extended period of time? Seems like i get my best fuel economy between 55 and 60mph which equates to 1600-1800rpm on my set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.