How long can your truck sit before battery dies? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long can your truck sit before battery dies?

How long have you guys let your truck sit before ithey had problems starting? I am deployed to the sand box for 6 months and told my wife to drive my truck at least 20 minutes 1-2 times per month.

She let my truck sit for an entire month and it wouldnt start. Neighbor came over and puttle tripple charger on it for the weekend. Truck started fine and she drove it to the Mall and shopped for 3 hours then it wouldnt start. Had truck taken to Ford and ended up having them Load test the Batteries, Check current draw, and Alternator ouput. The OEM Motorcraft Batteries were just replaced with new Motorcraft Batteries about 1 1/2 years ago. Batteries supposed to have 3yr free replacment but couldnt honor warranty since I didnt have my paperwork. Make sure you keep your papework or haver service put them in so it shows up on OASIS. I ended up paying $340.00 to have the Batteries replaced.

The Service advisor flashed my truck with the new 11b23 update and told my wife not to let the truck sit longer than 4-5 days. Seems like these trucks should be able to sit for a while with dual batteries. I understand there is parasitic drain on the batteris but really 4-5 days??

Of course my neighbor had to bust my balls saying he stored his dodge in a mini storage for 6 months wit batteries hooked up and it fired right up when he got back from his deployment without needing a jump.

Wanted to see what you guys thought was a reasonable amount of time letting the truck sit. Wife hates driving my truck cuz its lifted and complains she cant see.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM

I think it depends on the temp where it is. Mine sat for 2 weeks (picked up a jeep as a DD) through last Sat and started fine (temp was about 55) when I took it for a short (2 mile) ride up to the baseball field for field dudy. Worked for couple hours started fine to go home. Parked it and was going to take it out Monday night was colder in the low 30's and it wouldn't start not stone dead but really weak. Through the charger on and it was fine.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck sits sometimes for a month not being started as I use this truck for towing my 5th wheel, even after a month sitting and the viper alarm set starts right up, must have bad batteries.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

typical dodge guy.......

depends on weather here,
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Interesting thread. The practice of starting your vehicle about every 30 days if it's stored actually originated because of condensation. Condensation on the cylinder walls and valves caused them to pit if you let it sit much longer then a month. Today with nickel alloy cylinders (nikasil) and stainless steel valves we don't worry about it much. We should, but we dont.

Starting a vehicle to charge the battery is really hard on a battery. A couple of times doing this and your battery will begin to suffer.

If you're going to store your vehicle use a battery tender to keep the batterys up to full capacity until you're ready to use it again.

If you're looking for new batteries for an off road vehicle that needs to get you there and get you back, choose either Rolls or Optima. All the rest are made exactly alike, the only difference is the warranty.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I didnt have a battery tender on the truck when I left. Previous owner told me he replaced the batteries about 1 1/2 years ago. That means I am on my set of Batteries in 4 years. Doesnt get cold in Phoenix. So service guy is full of $hit saying drive every 4 or 5 days then. Nobody else has had any problems?

How many years have you gotten out of your Motorcraft Batteries?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Turd View Post
I didnt have a battery tender on the truck when I left. Previous owner told me he replaced the batteries about 1 1/2 years ago. That means I am on my set of Batteries in 4 years. Doesnt get cold in Phoenix. So service guy is full of $hit saying drive every 4 or 5 days then. Nobody else has had any problems?

Don't worry about how many years people get out of their batteries, just change them every two years. That's the rule of thumb for lead/acid batteries in a harsh environment.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I have a friend who has a 6.0 that sits for most of the winter and sits all week long in the summer. I bought him a battery tender that mounts permanently under the hood for Christmas a few years ago.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 PM

In the summer when i go camping I leave my truck on to play music. It lasts over 1 1/2 hours even with a sub going and has no issues starting up. I guess it would depend on the batteries too.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Turd View Post

I fried the turbo in my 7.3 this last november have been layed off so havnt replaced it yet the truck sat all the way to feb before i had to start and move the truck had 30 inches of snow on the ground it started up after about the 2nd time fireing so no problem on the batteries for me and im from missouri has been negatives this year!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.