is it possible to lower a 4x4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is it possible to lower a 4x4?

i'm not familiar at all with lowering a truck. it seems that all of the trucks that i see that are lowered are all 2 wheel drive rigs. can a 4x4 be lowered? i REALLY like lowered duallys, but i need a 4 wheel drive from time to time so i went that route. what are the pros/cons of dropping a truck? i'm assuming, if done properly, there wouldn't be any changes to pulling or payload capability? does ride quality change? what companies would carry such a system? i'm not necessarily asking about putting it in the weeds, just bring it down a few inches and level it out. i don't know that i would actually do it because i like being able to see over most other vehicles, but it's an option.

opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide body View Post
i'm not familiar at all with lowering a truck. it seems that all of the trucks that i see that are lowered are all 2 wheel drive rigs. can a 4x4 be lowered? i REALLY like lowered duallys, but i need a 4 wheel drive from time to time so i went that route. what are the pros/cons of dropping a truck? i'm assuming, if done properly, there wouldn't be any changes to pulling or payload capability? does ride quality change? what companies would carry such a system? i'm not necessarily asking about putting it in the weeds, just bring it down a few inches and level it out. i don't know that i would actually do it because i like being able to see over most other vehicles, but it's an option.

opinions?
IMHO lowering a truck is only "useful" if it sees no more use than a car. A 4x4 can be lowered, weather its via leaf deletes, coil clips, shackle flips, etc. What kinda rig you got? that would help in determining the how. Pro I suppose are being able to get in and out easier, load easier, have more cab clearance. Con's are your lower, have less ground clearance, less suspension travel, more than likely lower effective payload. If you do it right (say with air bags, actual suspension bags not those hoopdie leveling bags for like 1/3 the cost) you should be able to haul and carry just as much. The cheepo route not so much. If you're just trying to lower level your dually, not raise level it, I'd just delete the stock rear suspension block. IMO

If any of this is wrong it will be dealt with in swift(ish) org fashion
Old 03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

08stroker250 just lowered his. Give him a shout.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
IMHO lowering a truck is only "useful" if it sees no more use than a car. A 4x4 can be lowered, weather its via leaf deletes, coil clips, shackle flips, etc. What kinda rig you got? that would help in determining the how. Pro I suppose are being able to get in and out easier, load easier, have more cab clearance. Con's are your lower, have less ground clearance, less suspension travel, more than likely lower effective payload. If you do it right (say with air bags, actual suspension bags not those hoopdie leveling bags for like 1/3 the cost) you should be able to haul and carry just as much. The cheepo route not so much. If you're just trying to lower level your dually, not raise level it, I'd just delete the stock rear suspension block. IMO

If any of this is wrong it will be dealt with in swift(ish) org fashion
i don't like the sounds of leaf deletes. i wouldn't want to lower the capabilities of the truck. my truck is a DRW, FX4,CC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD132 View Post
08stroker250 just lowered his. Give him a shout.
thanx.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
i don't like the sounds of leaf deletes. i wouldn't want to lower the capabilities of the truck. my truck is a DRW, FX4,CC.

thanx.
I was just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat and by rig type I meant year lol, that helps with telling what suspension ya got
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo444 View Post
I was just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat and by rig type I meant year lol, that helps with telling what suspension ya got
got it.....it's an '08
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
got it.....it's an '08
Oh, well I suspect you could just have the front coils clipped and take out the stock suspension block (if there is one, I'll look the next time I'm truck shopping ) If its not close then I think you can extend the far rear shackle for some extra lowering. No load ability lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.