Passing emissions w/out the dpf... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Passing emissions w/out the dpf...

I was at the local gas station and got to talking to a guy that also had an 08 6.4L, and he was asking me about the dpf and if i had deleted mine yet. Well he said that his cracked and the dealership was going to charge in like $3600 to replace it. Well he said screw that and got a delete for his because it was cheaper. He also told me that he went through emissions and told them that they could plug his truck up to test it, so instead they did the exhaust probe and passed without a problem. So my question is can you pass emission that way ever time? I thought if you did the delete, to pass emission you had to put it back on, and take it off after...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

alot probably depends on where you live and the emissions laws. I'm in Ohio and I think if you have ODBII that is how they do it, no questions asked.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 PM
The Silent Service

Agreed, alot has to do with how the emissions laws are written in your area. Most are required hook up to the ODBII port, and do a visual check to ensure all emission control equipment when the truck was made is still in place. Including DPF, CAT converter, EGR system, etc. I would doubt you'll be able to get the delete to pass every time, and in some places the fines can be heavy.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:23 PM

my truck passed the obd2 emissions test
Old 01-24-2011, 03:59 PM

I'm also in TN, Chattanooga to be exact. I asked the emissions dude last month about a newer model F250 and he said visual and OBDII test. I think the visual is a joke, they can't see anything with that mirror they use, I highly doubt some even know what they are looking at.

Sad for those peeps, dude said they were all sub contracted so they don't get any benefits...

I'm currently looking for a truck. My plan is to just hollow out mine and stick it back on there. That way if I'm ever stopped it will at least look like one is there.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Like everyone else said here, it depends on where you're at. In California, I guarantee, unless you "know a guy" then you will fail the visual portion of the inspection. I live in California and just had my truck inspected at the dealership since they were doing some warranty work. I didn't stick around to watch them do it, but I believe that there is a OBD test and a snap test (looking for smoke), but they don't put the truck on rollers. There is FOR SURE a visual test, and if you're missing a cat and/or a DPF, you're guaranteed to fail.

Oh, and you have to do it every two years even if your truck is brand spanking new.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM

Just found something funny out about my local e check. They cant even test a diesel! Apparently whatever they test for, diesels dont put out. I was all worried I wasnt going to pass. When i got the sheet it was 0 0 0 0 for the pollutants. I asked what gives, and the guy laughed and said most e checks are not set up to test diesel, so they all pass. Seems strange cause its a very populated farm town with more trucks then cars.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM

I belive I am correct in saying that in Texas, they do not check the emissions of passenger diesel vehicles and motorcycles.

Can someone from Texas back me up on this?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:11 PM

in MA my f-250 9900 gvw only does obd2 emissions and visual . Can be done at any inspection station for $29. over 10k gvw Needs to have a complete DOT inspection done. OBD2, Snap test, everything $100+

I actually got a f-250 for this very reason...
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Here is your Texas response...

I just had my first inspection done on the truck. I have heard 10 different opinions on what gets checked, and how, when I have asked around. Since I am thinking of putting a tuner on it, and being new to diesels, I paid close attention to what they did while I was there. I did not see them hook up to the OBDII port, I did not see them do a visual inspection, and I did not see them do a sniff test. All they did was drive it around the parking lot.

When we were done, I told them I was new to diesels and asked them what the checked for the yearly inspection. The response I got was that they only do a safety check on the diesels and no emissions checks. In fact, he said that the fee was about half the price since they don't do any emissions checks. And to give you an idea how closely they looked at the safety check, I had a turn signal out and they didn't say a thing.

With that news, my mind is made up and I will be tuning shortly! Additionally, I will be headed to the same place when I am due for my next check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.