are my batteries toast? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
are my batteries toast?

in the last 3 or so months, only on really cold mornings (around 10 degrees or less) my batteries only have enough juice for one long turn over (after warming up glow plugs) and then they give up, resulting in no start. This has happened 3 times so far this winter. Any other time it starts up really quickly. When it died those 3 times, it took a one second jump from another car to start up, really easily.

I had the batteries tested and they assured me they are perfectly fine.. now I'm not sure if I should drop 300+ on a pair of batteries, or get a 40 dollar jump box or even those jump boxes that you plug into your cigarette lighter to start up.

can the deep freeze overnight totally drain a battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0USE View Post
in the last 3 or so months, only on really cold mornings (around 10 degrees or less) my batteries only have enough juice for one long turn over (after warming up glow plugs) and then they give up, resulting in no start. This has happened 3 times so far this winter. Any other time it starts up really quickly. When it died those 3 times, it took a one second jump from another car to start up, really easily.

I had the batteries tested and they assured me they are perfectly fine.. now I'm not sure if I should drop 300+ on a pair of batteries, or get a 40 dollar jump box or even those jump boxes that you plug into your cigarette lighter to start up.

can the deep freeze overnight totally drain a battery?
The cold shouldn't drain them over night unless something is wrong with them. If it's under the 3 yr./36k warranty, I'd take it to Ford and make them replace them.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM

have 96k on my 08, I believe they are originals, also this is the first winter experiencing this problem.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

When you had them tested did they remove the cables from one battery? Since then are wired in series you will get a false reading on a bad battery.

I had the same issue as you and it turned out one battery was bad.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:33 AM

They are wired in Parallel not series, The old diesel toyotas were wired in series thats why they were 24 volt. Which is actually a better design since half the current is required at 24volt so smaller wire guage is possible. But it makes it a ***** for adding accessories
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeddy View Post
They are wired in Parallel not series, The old diesel toyotas were wired in series thats why they were 24 volt. Which is actually a better design since half the current is required at 24volt so smaller wire guage is possible. But it makes it a ***** for adding accessories
Parallel is what I meant, guess thats what I get for posting while intoxicated.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

When a pair of battery's are used, most of the time one will go out before the other. This will cause the good one to also drain down. Odds are you need to replace the battery's.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM

I would guess you need new batteries. I went through the same thing with my 2008 after 40,000 miles batteries were completely toast, if I didn't plug it in the truck would not start.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM

What is the Cold Amp Startup yours give out? You should have atleast 850+ for 19 degree's and under
Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I replaced my OEM batteries at 3 years/37k miles. That's about how long they last. Doesn't makes sense to risk a "no-start" by pushing the batteries much longer IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.