F550 DPF delete ?s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 DPF delete ?s

I know it is very popular and and helpful to do the deletes on the 2 and 3s but I cannot find much and here about doing it to the 4 or 5s. I get about 7 mpg with my 550 it is almost always towing. I really would like to lose the dpf but am very reluctant. What about the egr is that worth it too? What kits are the best to use? I am not looking to add any power just get better economy. Also are there any downsides besides warranty thing to doing the deletes? Not trying to bash but my 6.7 Cummins 3500 never goes into regen and get 12-14 towing heavy dead stock. Love the Ford other than the economy and regen every 50-75 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are several threads where uses with the 450's have reported no gains or very minimal gains to the point of being upset. Even on the smaller vehicles, the gains while towing are very minor. My guess is you will be getting rid of the whole regen process but will see very little or no gains with the mod.

Again, this is based on threads other users have posted regarding their results. I too have not heard of any on the 550's. Personally, with that size truck and that amount of regens, I would do it just to be rid of the regens.

The big names seem to be Spartan, H&S and SCT. Each has a really strong following.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM

i went with spartan tuner,dpf delete on my 08 550 service truck. im getting 13.8 in the city which is an improvement over the 9 i was getting.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMO MAN View Post
i went with spartan tuner,dpf delete on my 08 550 service truck. im getting 13.8 in the city which is an improvement over the 9 i was getting.
Any downsides to it? Just the DPF or the EGR too? Which kit did you go for? What do you use the truck for?
Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck is mainly a tow pig, 7000# tag or 18000 fiver.
Way down to do the mods (150 Miles) - 11.7 Unloaded (I do have a tool box and fuel cell in the bed)
Way back from the mods - 14.9. Unloaded
Drove 60-65, it is a 55 MPH highway.
Towing went from 6.5-7 to the beach to 9.5-10. Mountians, 4-7% grades, etc.
4.88's you have to drive slower to get the MPG.
I would say it made a difference.
I would just do a tuner and delete. Dont worry about the EGR right now.
I have Innovative (Eric) and it is good. I would get his tuner and load the tow tune and not worry. I had his tuning on my 6.0 also, he is good, great on the tranny tuning.
The truck will run cooler on everything.
Stock EGT's while towing would blip into 1400 when in regen, then settle around 1320 or so.
Now (at least in the winter) I have to try to get the EGT's to 1250 while towing, it will get that high up long steep grades with my foot in it.
Change oil 5000 or less, the fuel filters at 10,000 or less and drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.