how much do you like your 6.4??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much do you like your 6.4???

ok guys i have a 05 6.0 right now and i really want a new truck four door i been lookin at all trucks dodge and chevy and ford ford has the best lookin trucks out there so i really want a ford again . so i can not afford a brand new truck 6.7 so i want peoples inputs on the 6.4s cause if i get new ford it will be 6.4

so any imput will be great tell me what you like and dont like about your 6.4

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 AM

I love my truck. I really got nothing negative to say about the truck. If you do get a 6.4 get a Job 3 truck basically a 09-10 truck. The only thing that people complain about the most on these trucks are mpg. When mine was bone stock I avg about 16-17 mpg per fill up. Now with the mods in my sig I get about 20-21 mpg per fill up. If I baby it I have got about 25 mpg on the hwy. I went about 200 miles at 65 mph on cruise control and only use about 8 gallons. But really these trucks are great. If you do the mods in my sig you will be very happy with the truck. LOTS of power and better reliability and better mpg.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
I love my truck. I really got nothing negative to say about the truck. If you do get a 6.4 get a Job 3 truck basically a 09-10 truck. The only thing that people complain about the most on these trucks are mpg. When mine was bone stock I avg about 16-17 mpg per fill up. Now with the mods in my sig I get about 20-21 mpg per fill up. If I baby it I have got about 25 mpg on the hwy. I went about 200 miles at 65 mph on cruise control and only use about 8 gallons. But really these trucks are great. If you do the mods in my sig you will be very happy with the truck. LOTS of power and better reliability and better mpg.
thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 PM

I love my truck, but sometimes i wish I woulda bought an 07 6.0 or pre dpf dodge. Now that my dpf is off the mileage is bearable, 16mpg, seems the 09/10s get better so keep that in mind. But, it still worries me having the dpf off. I get nervous around police officers at lights and am always looking when I take off fast for police. Also, the inspection is a hassle having to put it back and forth. I'm not nor was I ever looking for a high hp truck, I wouldve never tuned the truck besides to get the dpf off. But if you're comfortable with it, I wouldn't advise against a 6.4.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 09 6.4 crew cab FX4 and I love it. Like everyone else has said the milage sucks especially when towing. Towing 9,000 lbs I get 8.5 to 9. I get 16-17 hwy non towing and staying at 65-70. I get approx 11-12 city. The DPF and regens suck and I have not tuned mine yet because I have only 9,000 miles on it and I am afraid of voiding the warranty.

I used to have a Chevy never again. The GM trucks had 2 major problems that GM new about but did not recall. The front differential in 4X4's had cheap carrier bearings from China that wore out very quicly and the stepper motors for the gauges and speedometer went bad. My 4x4 went out at 48,000 miles and they wanted to nail me for $800.00 to fix and that was just for the carrier bearings. I told them I wanted the whole thing cleaned out and all new bearings and they wanted to nail me for $1,300. I did it myself for under $300.00 but I had to wait 2 weeks for parts because they couldn't keep them in stock. Luckily my gauges went out at 34,000 miles so that was covered under warranty if not that would have been $500.00 bucks. The GM trucks were from 2002-2007 I beleive with those problems. Good luck to you.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:12 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm on the fence, mines a job 2 and bone stock except aesthetics. My 4wd just went out, retractable mirrors aren't synced the same, some interior stuff doesn't work. And I'm only at 45k miles. I hate the regen and Mpg are just terrible, but man it's a nice truck and rides great. Best looking of the big 3 IMO. The guys with the tuners say the power is great and mpg are pretty good when you lose the dpf.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM

ok thanks again guys keep it coming what exactly is the dpf what dose it do??? if i get a 6.4 i will most likly put spartan tunes on it and air dog
Old 01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

My 6.4s have been my favorite trucks, ever.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Dude, looking at your list, you've pretty much made that 6.0 bulletproof. ARP, EGR delete.....

The 6.4 is a better motor than the 6.0. That being said, you have to delete the DPF and run around worrying about inspections / voided warranty. That kinda sucks. I know as I do it.

If I was you, I would keep the 6.0. Keep the 6.0 and save that payment money for the 6.7. Its not going away and it can only get better. Then...when you can afford the 6.7, you'll have a better STOCK truck than the 6.4 is STOCK.

If you plan to mod the heck out of the engine....go ahead and get a 6.4.

When I bought me 6.4, I thought long and hard about buying an 07 6.0 and bulletproofing it (EGR delete, ARP studs, SCT tunes)....because at the end of the day, the EPA is going to have their way.

Oh....with all that being said, I love my 6.4 now that its tuned. My favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

Last edited by Dim Sum; 01-16-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Love mine... even before the dpf delete, I loved it.

I love it even more now AND it's so powerful.

doc/dpf delete, intake, and tuner are all fairly inexpensive for the gains you get, as well as SUPER easy to install if you know how to work a wrench, and run a few wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.