'10 F350 w/6.4 or stay with '04 F350 w/6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'10 F350 w/6.4 or stay with '04 F350 w/6.0?

Hi everyone. I have a 2004 F350 6.0 DRW and finally got all the bugs and such out of her. No oil leaks. All is running perfect. But saw an ad for 2010 F350 with only 5k miles and wondering if upgrading to a new model is worth it.

We use the truck for hauling our 16k# 5er and usually get about 10 to 11 MPG. This 6.0 doesn't have the regen and such that the 6.4s have.

Looking for some advice....keep the 6.0 or upgrade to the 6.4. Obviously the pros are things like the changes to the interior, motor HP, etc. But what I'm really wanting to avoid is jump from the kettle into the fire so to speak especially now that my 6.0 is purring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM

I love my 6.4l but if you are going to pick the 6.4 up then make sure you order a tuner and delete pipe when you get it. Your mileage towing will be much worse if you leave it stock.

Overall, if you 6.0 is running good and not giving you problems and its paid for, I would just keep it. Plus there is not diesel that sounds like a 6.0!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedub View Post
I love my 6.4l but if you are going to pick the 6.4 up then make sure you order a tuner and delete pipe when you get it. Your mileage towing will be much worse if you leave it stock.

Overall, if you 6.0 is running good and not giving you problems and its paid for, I would just keep it. Plus there is not diesel that sounds like a 6.0!
Yeah...took years (literally) to get Ford to fix the rear seal oil leak but now she is fixed and with my mods (like coolant filter) and new egr and oil cooler, the truck is running perfectly. I'll be doing a few more mods like CCV, air springs and such but nothing like a tune. And yes....she is 100% paid off. So a down side is another note.

Shame that the 6.4s get worse fuel mileage. They sure are good looking trucks interior wise!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd stick with the 6.0 that has no problems... Maybe wait until the 6.7s are a little cheaper
Old 01-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Yeah...took years (literally) to get Ford to fix the rear seal oil leak but now she is fixed and with my mods (like coolant filter) and new egr and oil cooler, the truck is running perfectly. I'll be doing a few more mods like CCV, air springs and such but nothing like a tune. And yes....she is 100% paid off. So a down side is another note.

Shame that the 6.4s get worse fuel mileage. They sure are good looking trucks interior wise!
My 2010 when stock got an avg 16 mpg per fill up. I figure about 18 or so on the hwy. Now with the mods I got I can get anywhere from 22 mpg to 24 mpg on the hwy.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 PM

^^ i'd like to see the hand calculations...
Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
My 2010 when stock got an avg 16 mpg per fill up. I figure about 18 or so on the hwy. Now with the mods I got I can get anywhere from 22 mpg to 24 mpg on the hwy.
With a "F-350 CC SRW LongBed 4X4"? Sounds like you almost always drove 55 - 65 and downhill.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 AM

04 F350 SRW with 35's and 4.56's vs. 08 F450 with 4.88's
Stock to Stock towing - 6.4
Tow Tune to Tow Tune - 6.4
MPG stock unloaded - 6.0
MPG tuned unloaded - 6.0, mainly because of the weight and gears in the 450
MPG tuned loaded - 6.4, same reason as above, gears help plus I can only do 55 in CA.
I miss my 04, but when I latch onto the fiver, I love the 450. Overall truck I like the 6.4 so far. Keep the oil changed, coolant clean and dont beat on the truck all the time they are great. The same with the 6.0. If my 04 was a dually I would have kept it. But the pin weight was too much for the truck, the tail was wagging the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.