Which Truck advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Truck advice

Hello. Sorry for the long post, but it sometimes helps to get "the whole story". I am new to PS but not to Fords (father retired from Ford). Currently have an 02 Expedition now (5.4L).
I have been lurking the forums for my research and want to get some direct advice. I have a Jeep Wrangler I trailer to offroad parks and have recently purchased a 23' boat. The boat is around 6-7k pounds and the Expedition HATES it. Transmission heats up and starts leaking, brakes heat up pretty good when stopping - it just doesn't like pulling it.
I want to go diesel as I would like to get a truck camper so I can go jeeping/boating and camp too. Looking at 1-tons SWD. Nearly everyone I talk to says go 7.3. Well, all the 7.3's I find usually have 200k+ miles and are ready for a tranny rebuild (not that I am against that). I have been told stay far away from the 6.0's although I spoke to a Ford diesel mechanic who told me to just keep up on the maintenance (oil changes) and all should be good. The wife wants a 'newer' vehicle so now we are looking at the 6.4's. I love everything about the look, feel, interior, exterior, integrated brake controller, etc. I am just worried about the engine. I have been reading that gas mileage is lowsy (what are you guys getting - empty/towing?) and there are problems with the DPF regen. I have read the 7.3 gets the best MPG, 6.0 is worse, then 6.4 even worse. I know this is a heavy truck but I don't want to spend all my money at the pump. What should I look for in a used 2008 (if 6.4 is recommended)? Most 2008's I have seen are right at or over 100k (I think the warranty is to 100k which explains why everyone is unloading them). So, let the newbie have it. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My recommendation would be keep an eye out for a lower mileage 7.3 that's clean. You may pay $15+ for it but they are out there. Or find a 08-10 6.4 that's still in warranty and doesn't have a troubled history. The 6.4 does get crappy mileage due to the dpf and regen but that can be taken care of if you want to delete it. The newer trucks are more comfortable and have more bells and whistles which are nice. I'm a sucker for a 7.3 though and don't think I'll ever get rid of my Platinum. There's a large 6.0 following on this forum and they know how to make them last but I've been down that road with my 05 and won't do it again.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I loved my 7.3 as well but i REALLY love my 6.4. If all the trucks you are looking at are in the 100k miles range than you can delete the DPF and not have to worry about warranty issues. You will be MUCH better mileage and have more power. I wouldnt be scared about getting a 6.4. As long as you find a 6.4 that has a clean service history and make sure that all of the updates have been done than you will have a good solid truck that will last a long time. They are towing animals.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Get A Job!

ware you looking for your tuck at? I find 08's all day long on autotrader from 28k to 35k with less thin a 100k most with about 40k to 70k,the 6.4 is bad a$$ love this thing it is a beast.look find a nice 08 for like 30k get it home and put a cai,tune,and dfp/cat delete kit all for 2k and have a nice truck. that will pull a houes and run low 13's 1/4m,and git like 20mpg highway and 18mpg city. that would and did work for me just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 6.4 F250 CCSB pulling a 20'enclosed trailer gets 11 mpg with a tailwind or 10 mpg with a headwind. Doesn't matter if it is fully loaded or not. But it will pull it like it is nobody's business.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on an 08. I would like to try and stay under $30k.

What MPG do you guys get on the highway, with no load or trailer, stock or modified?

I have not gotten too personal with the diesels yet - where exactly is the DPF? I assume it is somewhere in the exhaust. Are the DPF delete kits easy to install. I have a mig welder, so I can weld exhaust straight pipes if necessary.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogz View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on an 08. I would like to try and stay under $30k.

What MPG do you guys get on the highway, with no load or trailer, stock or modified?

I have not gotten too personal with the diesels yet - where exactly is the DPF? I assume it is somewhere in the exhaust. Are the DPF delete kits easy to install. I have a mig welder, so I can weld exhaust straight pipes if necessary.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

I have an 09 crewcab FX4 woth 3:55 gears and I get between 16 and 17 highway and about 11-12 city. My truck is completely stock. I have had since October I got it with 4,000 miles on it and I love it. I pulled a 9,000 lb trailer to Louisanna and back to K.C. and I got 9 mpg.

The delete pipe is pretty easy to install and you must also get a tuner when you delte the DPF. Depending on what you get as far as tuner goes you will pay anywhere from $600-$1,200. No welding is needed. Good luck!

Ed
Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Well, it's official. Yesterday I purchased a black 2008 F350 SWD Crew Cab short bed King Ranch package truck. The truck has 123,000 miles which made the price lower. The truck came with the Banks system with CAI, intercooler, exhaust and the six-gun PDA tuner.

I was happy until I got home and crawled under the truck to see it still had the DPF. After some research here, I guess the Banks system is meant to keep the truck stock with some computer 'tricking' (no PCM tuning). So if I wanted to remove the DPF, I read that I either have to either get the DPF-R product from GearBoxZ or ditch the Six-Gun and get a decent tuner (+ pipe).
Are there tuners that I could borrow and just program out the DPF & EGR and continue to use the six-gun? Also, what is a DOC? Remove the catalytic converter? I am not looking for a loud truck, just good MPG and decent power. Seems plenty loud with the Banks. Thoughts?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Well, it's official. Yesterday I purchased a black 2008 F350 SWD Crew Cab short bed King Ranch package truck. The truck has 123,000 miles which made the price lower. The truck came with the Banks system with CAI, intercooler, exhaust and the six-gun PDA tuner.

I was happy until I got home and crawled under the truck to see it still had the DPF. After some research here, I guess the Banks system is meant to keep the truck stock with some computer 'tricking' (no PCM tuning). So if I wanted to remove the DPF, I read that I either have to either get the DPF-R product from GearBoxZ or ditch the Six-Gun and get a decent tuner (+ pipe).
Are there tuners that I could borrow and just program out the DPF & EGR and continue to use the six-gun? Also, what is a DOC? Remove the catalytic converter? I am not looking for a loud truck, just good MPG and decent power. Seems plenty loud with the Banks. Thoughts?
congrats on the new truck. I love my minimaxx and have a 4" downpipe and 5" flo pro downpipe back exhaust. I would get rid of the banks as it will not work with a dpf delete. There are some good venders on here that will hook you up.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I would stay away from the DPF-R. Just my OP, but I don't like anything that shuts of the regen, but still allows soot to be trapped in the DPF.

Someone, could have been a vendor, was pushing the DPF-R hard in another thread but avoided my questions about potentially plugging the DPF like the plague.

I would tune/delete and forget about it. Most guys are going with Spartan or H&S. SCT has a pretty good following as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.