Most cost effective, quality tuner for the 6.4L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most cost effective, quality tuner for the 6.4L

I picked up a DPF delete pipe on the cheap today on our local Kijiji(Think Craigslist), so I want to price out a tuner.

I went to the local shop, they only have the Edge CTS, CS and the superchips (programmer only, no display) to choose from for "DPF-delete tuners".

I used to have an edge evo on my 07 F150, and really liked it. But I was shocked by the prices. Mind you, this is through a shop here, so there's likely mark-up and then some plus how they gouge canadians on everything. They also had it in stock, which is always nice.

Anyways, the CS was about $930. The CTS was priced at $1140. And the Superchips came in the cheapest at $771.00.

The only other price I've gotten is $1300 (That looks to be the price to pick it up local or buy online) for the Spartan. I like that Spartan is popular, but I just feel like $1300 is excessive for just a darn tuner.

Someone told me that the Spartan also will cost more in the long run because apparantly they charge to re-tune for tire size changes, yet the Edge Evo you just enter in your tire size and go.

Is there anyone who doesn't use a Spartan who would recommend another tuner? Hopefully one that doesn't cost near $1000?? To me, the $700 range is exceptable, beyond that just feels like highway robbery.

Rant/ I'm more then aware you pay to play. But these crazy prices for tuners seems to me they are more then taking advantage of our 'new truck with DPF's' situation. You get soaked by the dealerships and the EPA for these trucks and this emissions crap, and then you want to change your truck for the positive to get rid of that emissions BS and the tuner manufactures are ready to soak you there. What choice does a person have but to either by new/newer or buy a miled out pre-DPF diesel?? /Rant(Sorry, this isn't meant to ryle anyone up)
Anyways, any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get an sct livewire either new or used off craigslist, the org or ebay. and have it tuned by kem perfomance or innovative diesel. thats the best running cheap option. other then that the h&s minimax would work well for 900. i picked up 2 used livewires off CL one for 250$ and one for 400$
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You will get 100 different answers to your question by 100 people, that said I can only give you my expierence.

My friend has a Chevy HD and has the SCT tuner and loves it. He loves the gauges and the power it provides.

A lot of people like Spartan because they say that if you need to take your truck in for warranty work you can put it back to stock and the Dealer will not know you had a programmer on it.

I do not have a tuner as I have only 9500 miles on my truck and I do not want to loose the warranty. I can't afford to play so I don't. Good luck to you!
Ed
Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

can the dealer detect the minimax?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:48 PM

they all can be detected. they wont go looking unless you fry your motor/trans
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suban View Post
they all can be detected. they wont go looking unless you fry your motor/trans
So the Spartan can be detected after all? That would be the only reason I'd spend that kind of money on it. But soon that won't be an issue as I believe my warranty is up in May.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 PM

i mean i dont know for sure either way, no one does. but if they look hard enough they would have to find some abnormalities

Last edited by suban; 01-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM

The best bang for your buck is to buy used. I was able to get into a spartan tuner with a dpf/doc pipe and s&b intake for 850.00 and the add the 325.00 relicense fee and total for me was 1175.00

seeing how you got the pipe i would look for a used spartan, black max, or a sct livewire, and then a used intake. Or you can get and H&S XRT tuner but it doesn't have any gauges but at 665.00 it's cheep for a new dpf off tuner
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM

Bingo buddy, If they want to look deep enough. any tuner probably can be detected. I love my minimax and dpf/doc delete. Give Nate a pm over at performance truck products and do a live chat with him. Hes tried both Spartan and H&S. Remember if you do want to go the cheaper route, id personally go with H&S. Free tunes vs paid unless you want to put a kem tune on it. But the Spartan has alot more tunes on it stock, and a few more gauge setings Kinda just depends on which route you want to go. what ever route you take, your gonna love the heck out of the power that it unleases!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Oh, just FYI I already did put in an S&B Intake, so that's covered.

Crud. I should have considered the DOC delete before I just got the DPF delete pipe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.