6.4 or 6.0?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 or 6.0??

Looking at getting another Ford...I'm debating between getting a 6.4 or 6.0...I know 6.0 has head gasket issues on some of the trucks..but I also heard that the 6.4 suck on mpg compared to the 6.0...Can I get some help on this issue. Thanks, Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is a lot of information out there, 6.0's have their issues but can be prevented. IE EGR cooler & oil cooler typically go bad due to oil cooler plugging and then causing the EGR cooler to rupture. But this can be prevented by switching from Ford Gold coolant to a Cat ELC rated coolant. Head gaskets are typically caused by a blown EGR cooler leaking coolant into the cylinders, flash boiling raising cylinder pressure and lifting the heads.

6.4's I've not researched much but the gas mileage suffers from the DPF system.

In short, spend some time researching. Each truck has quirks but with some aftermarket parts and routine maintenance can last reliably a long time.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

each trucks problems can be fixed; a 6.0 can be made reliable and a 6.4 can get good mpg's. the 6.4 however have had injector problems that can lead to trashing an engine. that would be the biggest thing i would be worried about. the egr, dpf, radiator can be deleted and replaced...

I am going to buy a 6.4, not a 6.0
Old 01-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Ive had three 6.0's. The last one with studs and an egr delete. I am more than happy that i traded up to a 6.4. I love it and im not even deleted/tuned yet!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I've never heard of the 6.4's having injectors problems. I have heard of them having radiator issues but other then the job 1 trucks having most the problems, all the other job 2 and 3 trucks they seem to be pretty reliable.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM

stock for stock, I think they are both great trucks. Very comparable. Both can have issues, but the 6.4 seems to have less. Modded, I am disappointed in the 6.4 Not because of the motor which I love, But the tranny that comes behind it. I have tried tunes from everyone out there and my truck still shifts like crap. It makes me wish I keep my old 6.0 or just traded up to an 07 6.0. My 6.0 with the worst tunes I tried still shifted better than the best tunes I have tried in the 6.4. I guess I just expected better out of a newer truck.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
stock for stock, I think they are both great trucks. Very comparable. Both can have issues, but the 6.4 seems to have less. Modded, I am disappointed in the 6.4 Not because of the motor which I love, But the tranny that comes behind it. I have tried tunes from everyone out there and my truck still shifts like crap. It makes me wish I keep my old 6.0 or just traded up to an 07 6.0. My 6.0 with the worst tunes I tried still shifted better than the best tunes I have tried in the 6.4. I guess I just expected better out of a newer truck.
What job truck do you have? JOB 1 trucks are known to have flakey TCM's. Maybe you should order a Spartan TCM.

My truck shifts hard running the 275 tune and it should as it is a race tune , but when I drop it down to run the 175, it shifts like stock.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM

It does not need to shift hard all the time because it is a race tune. That is just the bs you get from the tuners that can't figure out the job 1 trucks. A firm shift is needed under power so as nothing is slipping. There is no need for my truck to rattle change in the cup holder when shifting at 10psi of boost.

Another point to be said. My 04 6.0 with Erics extreme race tune. Shifts firm when your full throttle, soft at light throttle, is a good all around driving/streetable,towing tune. While at the same time is faster than my 08 with the spartan310.

If I thought the Spartan TCM would help my issue, I would have bought it already. But I was advised against it. I have spent thousands of dollars between deletes, tuners, and tunes on this truck and I'm just disappointed in the end result.

That being said. I would still say if you are going to leave it stock, buy the 6.4
Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i would take a 6.0 any ****ing day of the week over a 6.4. after all i've seen on a 6.4 i'd be terrified to own one that wasn't under warranty

6.4 it's like every failure is a domino effect

your rad blows out, low coolant wipes your horizontal cooler and the remaining coolant is used to bend some rods

but wait theres more! then you get some water in your fuel and your hpfp scatters and clogs your injectors and sticks trash in your frp

now obviously i'm exaggerating a little but come on, the 6.4 does everything the 6.0 does with more labor and more money in parts. i've seen oil coolers go in 6.4s too, when the front cover cavitates where does all that extra aluminum go too?

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 01-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
It does not need to shift hard all the time because it is a race tune. That is just the bs you get from the tuners that can't figure out the job 1 trucks. A firm shift is needed under power so as nothing is slipping. There is no need for my truck to rattle change in the cup holder when shifting at 10psi of boost.

Another point to be said. My 04 6.0 with Erics extreme race tune. Shifts firm when your full throttle, soft at light throttle, is a good all around driving/streetable,towing tune. While at the same time is faster than my 08 with the spartan310.

If I thought the Spartan TCM would help my issue, I would have bought it already. But I was advised against it. I have spent thousands of dollars between deletes, tuners, and tunes on this truck and I'm just disappointed in the end result.

That being said. I would still say if you are going to leave it stock, buy the 6.4

My truck is not a Job 1, It is a 2010 Job 3. The shifting doesn't bother me much. I would rather it shift hard and fast all the time vs. drawing it out long one time and blowing up my transmission. Who advised you against buying the Spartan TCM?

If you want a smooth shift, update your firmware and run the Spartan 300 tune. It shifts nice and smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.