2gallons of diesel per regen! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2gallons of diesel per regen!

If I look at my miles-to-empty right after a fillup and then look at miles-to-empty plus trip meter since fillup after a regen completes on the same tank, I lose about 30miles... that's about 2 gallons of diesel per regen!

I think even more is burned if I'm not regening on the freeway.

An earlier post by shadrack seems to correlate!

MPG Test - Regen vs No-regen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sucks, but I think you're right.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

all the more reason to do a cat/dpf delete IMO.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
not to mentionn the way your cylinders look like after all that fuel dumping in em... fun.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Yeah, I done that test just trying to figure out how many gallons it wastes to do a single regen. However, the regens gets worse as you get more miles on your truck. My truck is regening a SOLID 40 minutes @ 60mph now when it completes a full regen. A year ago, it would be 20minutes TOPS. My mileage has dropped from 12mpg down to 10mpg. Everything else seems to be fine, it's just regening more and more. There is no doubt in my mind there is a minimum average of 5 gallons of diesel per 30 gallons durned WASTED due to this STUPID EPA regulation. How in the world is getting 10mpg versus 16mpg helping the environment? Your emissions per mile actually GO UP! Gahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

While towing a boat on a 4 hour trip (4 hours there and 4 hours back) I seen regen 5 times, all on the hwy. It was about 200 miles each way. It's really starting to get sickening. I want to delete so bad I can't stand it but I'm still scared to death to do a DPF delete just because what if something bad happens and I'm far from home? I'm screwed when it comes to warranty and I have the 7yr/100k mile extended warranty. I have till year 2014 and my truck currently has 44.5k miles.

This alone has really started to drive my want to trade to a F-150.

Last edited by Shadrack; 01-06-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM

Can a F150 perform the towing duties you need performed?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I've only towed 10,000 lbs one time and I don't ever see a reason I'll ever go over that.
I typically tow 5,000-7500lb fairly regular. I have a bass boat as well but it fully loaded migh tip the scales at 4,500lb.

A F-150 will tow it, but it's soooooooooo much easier to tow with a F-250. I don't even know anything is behind me. lol
Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM

Only 44K on your rig? I'm reading as the DPF loads up with ash, regens become more frequent and the DPF eventually needs to be physically purged of all the ash.

Ford supposedly has a guarantee that it should work out until 125K or something before servicing is needed; it's not clear what/when they consider it needing service.

Maybe check in with the dealer. 40min on the freeway doesn't sound right! I have 21Kmiles on mine--the longest I've regen'd was about 25miles on the freeway, usually it
lasts about 40min in mixed driving. I regen every 200~250miles running light.

I'm still tempted to get a DPF delete... but the smog emissions equipment police has me worried around here in California.

Last edited by aquamans350; 01-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine regens at max for about 20 min/20 miles. I just rolled over 35,000 miles and have owned the truck exactly one year ago today. It had 335 miles when I picked it up from the dealer.

The regens have always seemed to last about the same length of time. I will do a DPF delete as soon as i hit the 100,000 mile mark, an at the rate I am going should only be about 2 years.

To me the DPF has less to do with actually reducing emmissions and more about the "appearence" of reducing emmissions to the vast majority of the public, by getting rid of the black smoke. Just a bunch of politicians trying to make it look like they are doing something useful.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 AM

I've mentioned it to my dealer, they say all is normal.

On my way to work this morning (45 minute drive) and it started cleaning the exhaust filter at nearly the exactly halfway point. By the time I got to the office, it hadn't finsihed and I had to cut it short. I swear, these regens do nothing put piss me off. What a waste of resources. I would delete in a heartbeat, but I don't want to lose my warranty. I wish Ford would come out with a dedicated injector retrofit kit we as owners were even able to buy out of pocket and let them install it to get this oil dilution problem fixed. I change my oil at 4,000 miles due to this problem via Blackstone analysis. This shouldn't be happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.