03 6.0 for a 08 6.4? good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 for a 08 6.4? good idea?

Hi guys,
Im planning to sell my 03 6.0 f350 and buy a 08 6.4 f350. I have already had the common 6.0 problems: injectors, EGR and Oil coolers. I have read that the 6.4 has a horrendous MPG. My 6.0 gives me 14mpg hwy. ive read that the 6.4 does 8mpg??? that too low! is this true? what about engine trouble? I need a reliable truck.

thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM

I get 16 city and 20(22 if I drive below 75, but that never happens) highway with the mods in my sig. Only problem my truck has had is radiator issues, truck has 111k miles now.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
If youve already had those issues and repaired them, keep your 6.0. Search the forums...lots of guys are having major issues with their 6.4s once they actually get some miles on them. Do some research before you make a choice youll regret. Sorry to be blunt, but just my opinon.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are a spy (007) and are in need of a smoke screen at the mere tap of the gas (smoke) pedal, I would definitely get the 6.4. Ford calls it "Normal Operation."
Old 01-03-2011, 05:08 PM

i get 15 mpg highway bone stock, never an issue with my 08 f250. You will always here the issues on forums rather than guys just coming on here saying their truck is perfectly fine and how good it runs. Do a lot of research and find a well maintained 6.4, than maintain it well yourself, replace the fuel filters every 5k miles, delete the dpf, and get a tuner asap and you'll be golden with 20+ mpg. Might take better odds and get an 09' or 10' that rarely have issues compared to job 1 2008's.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Agreed with the poster above...trust me I know, as I own a 03 6.0 and people talk about how unreliable it is. I'm just saying do your research and make an educated decision before you do something you regret. If you already have fixed those issues, you're not far from having a bulletproof motor.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM

What would be the next thing to expect on my 6.0? head gasket and struts? turbo? injectors again?
I have read a lot about the 6.4 having lots of trouble. why ford just used it 2 years? because of the trouble they showed?

thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriero4x4 View Post
What would be the next thing to expect on my 6.0? head gasket and struts? turbo? injectors again?
I have read a lot about the 6.4 having lots of trouble. why ford just used it 2 years? because of the trouble they showed?

thanks
it was for 3 years, and they got away from international so they had to build a new motor. the ford/international contract was up in 2010. also the 6.0 was only made for 5 years. It's not the 6,4 that is the issue, it's the federal gov. making the diesel partical filter mandatory and ford's stupid "regen" process.

Last edited by rdwngs444; 01-03-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM

So, I think Ill have to wait until I can afford a superduty 2011.... with a Ford engine... maybe in 20 years from now... I think Ill keep my 6.0.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriero4x4 View Post

thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again...alot of the 6.0 Problems people have are SELF INFLICTED. People push and push that motor, not keeping their eyes on the EGT's or doing proper maintenance and that's when they run into issues. IMO unless you're running your truck hard and keepin the EGTs in the 12-1400* range for longer than maybe a minute or so, you're gonna greatly increase your chances of blowin the gaskets. Whenever I see my EGTs gettin close to 1200* i start thinking about getting off the throttle and backin off. You should've done all 8 injectors at once...if one goes, the others arent far behind is the general rule of thumb. Keep up with your maintenance and have some common sense, and you'll be fine. Keep an eye on your transmission maintenance too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.