Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

best synthetic oil

19K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  mrmanners 
#1 ·
I have an 08 superduty with 49,000 miles on her and i just put on a h&s black maxx tuner and 5" flo-pro dpf delete exhaust with afe intake. I just switched to mobil one 5w 40 sytheteic oil and im not sure im liking the mobilone oil. What are some other options on synthetic oil thats out there and can i switch back to the ford 15w 40 now that i have gone synthetic for only one time?

#3 ·
You can switch back to the Ford 15w-40 anytime you want, or any other oil for that matter. It won't hurt a thing. There's probably a dozen threads about which synthetic to run in the 6.4 and there's really no solid answer to what's best. Mostly personal preference and past experiences. The main thing is to not go for the longer drain intervals which seems to be leading to alot of premature engine failures down the road. Some of the main brands guys are using are the Mobil 1, Amsoil, Valvoline, Rotella to name a few. I've only ever run Motorcraft 15w-40 but will probably be choosing a synthetic when I get a 6.4. What's making you dislike the Mobil 1?

#4 ·
I'm a big fan of the rotella 5w40 fully synthetic

#6 ·
Also what Im currently using.

#5 ·
I'm a huge fan of Valvoline now after switching over from Rotella. My truck has 111k miles on it.

#8 ·
Just curious, what improvements have you noticed with the valvoline over the Rotella? Maybe I'll try it next. I've had great UOA's with the Rotella so far.

#7 ·
amsoil

i have used all of it from rotella to amsoil to sheffield to mobil one i have found amsoil being the best the only problemk is the multi level marketing they do it drives the price of the stuff up! i have a amsoil oil bypass unit on my 6.4 and a sinister diesel coolant bypass i have a leak in my radiator which when i replace it i am going with amsoil antifreeze but the guy is right its pretty much preference! but look up the amsoil web site they do have a lot of good stuff i tried some of there diesel concentrate and it gave me another mile per gallon on fuel milage!

#9 ·
^I've been running the valvoline for about a week now, and already the engine noise has decreased and I have almost zero injector rattle(talking cold starts here, never had any rattle under normal operating temps) even on extremely cold starts. Usually a little injector rattle is normal, and I was getting some on Rotella. I have no actual facts to prove that valvoline has done anything better than rotella, but it's hard to believe it hasn't going by how smooth it sounds now versus before.

#11 ·
AMSOIL offers a CJ-4 15W-40 for your truck. Here are a couple things about synthetics. There are only a few that make their products from group4 base stock oils. AMSOIL, Mobile1, Schaeffers. The rest use a group 2 or group 3 base stock. Group 4 base stocks are the best available with group 5 base being used for additives. Group 2 and 3 are not pure and still have dyno in them.

In regard to price, I can save you money as everything I sell is at the wholesale price which equates to a 25-35% discount.

If I can answer any questions or get you a quote, please just let me know.

Take care,

#14 ·
I've run Valvoline premium blue synthetic and the Rotella 5w40 synthetic. Been happy with both products!
I am interested in Amsoil but for the price, I'm happily saving some money for now!

#15 ·
Would you like to save more money? How often are you changing your oil with Valvoline? It isn't as popular with the Powerstroke folks as it is with some of my other customers but you can run AMSOIL a lot longer than you can Valvoline or Rotella.

You can run AMSOIL CJ-4 15W-40 Premium Motor Oil for 3XOEM or 1 year. Only thing that would be required would be to change your oil filter about every 5-7k miles and check to see if you are having any fuel dilution issues through an oil analysis. If you have removed your DPF, no oil analysis is required.

Now AMSOIL is in the process of making a new Ea Oil Filter for the 6.0 and 6.4s. Once it comes out, it should be an extended drain filter like the many others on the market now from AMSOIL that offer you a up to a 25k mile or 1 year guarantee.

So lets add it up; 4 gals of Premium 15W-40 through Amazon was 19.00 a gal for $76 and and just for this example lets go with a Fram filter for $19.00 through OReilly's. Total comes up to around 95 plus tax. Change the Valvoline oil over the same life span of AMSOIL lets just say 4 oil change (20-22k miles); that comes up to over $400 bucks and that is if you are doing it yourself. To run AMSOIL for the same duration (about 20-22k miles); changing only the oil filter every 7k and doing analysis will cost you MUCH less!

Plus you are getting the benefits of a Group 4 Pure synthetic base stock oil along with the best additives on the market today, improved fuel economy, less maintenance down time and an excellent cold pour point for early morning startups.

If you would like to know how much less and get some more specific information about our products, let me know as I can't post prices in open forum, sorry.

Take care,

#16 ·
Not following the regular oil change intervals is an easy way for Ford to try and point a finger at you and not honor a warranty claim. Is AMSOIL going to come and defend you then? Or cover the cost?

Best to change oil every 5,000 - 7,500 miles, at least while still under warranty.

#18 ·
Actually here is a link to AMSOILs warranty. If you were to have a problem and you took it to Ford and they came back and said it was the oil. AMSOIL would do their own investigation to see if the oil was the cause of the malfunction. If the oil was the cause, AMSOIL will pay to repair or replace your engine.

#17 ·
"subscribed"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.