2010 F450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Valley Center, KS
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 F450

Alright all, so my family is considering the purchase of a 10 F450. I was going to see what people thought of them, what kind of mileage, any concerns they have etc.

This will mainly be used for trailer hauling. Mainly horses and a couple of larger enclosed gooseneck trailers.

For the prices the 2010s are going for it seems like the smart money is to buy one, tune it and delete dpf. Is there any real reason to spend the extra $$ to go with the 2011 besides the 6.7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to foursixtysix
I love my 08 450. Almost 30k miles on it, only issue was a leaky radiator, got a free one and haven't had a problem since. Loved having the 19.5 rims, sets them apart from other super duty's. Ride isn't as bad as you'd expect for such a heavy hauler, fuel economy stock I saw about 9.3 mpg, with the Spartan 275 I see 13-14 mpg, plus excellent power. Can't say I've ever hauled much of a load other than my ***, had a good load of hardwood flooring in the bed once, would trust it to pull anything anytime. Great truck in my book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaysKSFirefighter View Post
Alright all, so my family is considering the purchase of a 10 F450. I was going to see what people thought of them, what kind of mileage, any concerns they have etc.

This will mainly be used for trailer hauling. Mainly horses and a couple of larger enclosed gooseneck trailers.

For the prices the 2010s are going for it seems like the smart money is to buy one, tune it and delete dpf. Is there any real reason to spend the extra $$ to go with the 2011 besides the 6.7?
2011 is lighter frame and they have done a lot to try to lighten the truck for better mileage. I think the 6.4 version is a much heavier duty truck that will last forever. If you look at the underside, it is built like a tank. Much heavier duty than the 350 model.

I have had my 08 since new and love the truck. Keep in mind, these are very heavy trucks and you won't get the mileage of the 250's and 350's. Mine weighs close to 10,000 pounds. I get close to 11 mpg in the city and 13 to 14 mpg highway (tuned of course). It drops when towing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you can get a 6.4 with a manual and let me drive it at a g2g, I'm game.

If money isnt an issue though, id go with the 6.7 personally (only I'll never own one cause they dont come with manuals) just cause of the more reliable power from the factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Branchville NJ
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 2011 no longer comes with the 19.5 wheels or the spicer 110 axle in the rear. They have basically turned it into a F350 with heavier springs to bring up the gvwr. Would go with a 10 or earlier if you really want a 450.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Taft, CA
Posts: 332
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love my 08. I use mine mainly for towing the fiver, 18000 range. Before tune I would 6.5-7 to the beach and back. 11.5-12 unloaded on the freeway. I kept it 65 range to do that unloaded. Faster it drops quick. Tuned now I get in the 14.5+ range.
Radiator is the only thing replaced on my truck also. Like above the new 450's are very comparable to the Tow Boss 350's. If I was going to get a new truck it would be a 550. Reason is why down grade. But I have no intentions to trade. I love this truck. Tows good, MPG is good for what it is. Mine is over 10,000 now with the 60 gallong tank in the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Valley Center, KS
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foursixtysix View Post
I love my 08 450. Almost 30k miles on it, only issue was a leaky radiator, got a free one and haven't had a problem since. Loved having the 19.5 rims, sets them apart from other super duty's. Ride isn't as bad as you'd expect for such a heavy hauler, fuel economy stock I saw about 9.3 mpg, with the Spartan 275 I see 13-14 mpg, plus excellent power. Can't say I've ever hauled much of a load other than my ***, had a good load of hardwood flooring in the bed once, would trust it to pull anything anytime. Great truck in my book!
Thanks for the input
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksipes1 View Post
2011 is lighter frame and they have done a lot to try to lighten the truck for better mileage. I think the 6.4 version is a much heavier duty truck that will last forever. If you look at the underside, it is built like a tank. Much heavier duty than the 350 model.

I have had my 08 since new and love the truck. Keep in mind, these are very heavy trucks and you won't get the mileage of the 250's and 350's. Mine weighs close to 10,000 pounds. I get close to 11 mpg in the city and 13 to 14 mpg highway (tuned of course). It drops when towing.

That's why I'm leaning to a 10 as opposed to an 11...for that extra bit of fuel mileage its not worth having smaller brakes and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506sp View Post
If you can get a 6.4 with a manual and let me drive it at a g2g, I'm game.

If money isnt an issue though, id go with the 6.7 personally (only I'll never own one cause they dont come with manuals) just cause of the more reliable power from the factory.
No you cant drive it...I'm pretty sure ford wouldn't warranty a $50k pickup after I cut a hole in the floor for a hand shaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt720 View Post
The 2011 no longer comes with the 19.5 wheels or the spicer 110 axle in the rear. They have basically turned it into a F350 with heavier springs to bring up the gvwr. Would go with a 10 or earlier if you really want a 450.
These are my thoughts exactly. We will use it for mainly OTR hauling with no less then 15k lbs in tow every time. I would prefer the bigger brakes, axle, wheels, etc. IMO its not worth losing that for a mpg or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsimmons View Post
I love my 08. I use mine mainly for towing the fiver, 18000 range. Before tune I would 6.5-7 to the beach and back. 11.5-12 unloaded on the freeway. I kept it 65 range to do that unloaded. Faster it drops quick. Tuned now I get in the 14.5+ range.
Radiator is the only thing replaced on my truck also. Like above the new 450's are very comparable to the Tow Boss 350's. If I was going to get a new truck it would be a 550. Reason is why down grade. But I have no intentions to trade. I love this truck. Tows good, MPG is good for what it is. Mine is over 10,000 now with the 60 gallong tank in the bed.
Thanks again for the input...Now we just need to see who will give us a better deal the ford dealer on a 450 or the Dodge dealer here in Oklahoma we are buying a new 30' trailer from. I really don't want a dodge but as of yesterday we could get one for at least 10k less. Only problem is the 3500 is the biggest they go with a bed. My mother has decided that she wont have another pickup with a flatbed over her dead body Guess that means it will be easier to get the ford!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaysKSFirefighter View Post
No you cant drive it...I'm pretty sure ford wouldn't warranty a $50k pickup after I cut a hole in the floor for a hand shaker
Oh so thats how its gonna be huh?

The 6.4 comes from the factory with a manual you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: wichita,ks
Posts: 2,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
probably not the one he is looking at.byron i love my 6.4 its a 250 but the engine is amazing.just tune the damn thing as soon as you get it.keep the dpf with you so if you do run into a problem you can change it real quick then call the dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Valley Center, KS
Posts: 1,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e99f2506sp View Post
Oh so thats how its gonna be huh?

The 6.4 comes from the factory with a manual you know.
Not in a 450 I don't believe She would want it to be an auto anyway, because we would get a lariat or KR, so there's really no room for a shifter. I am pretty sure both of those don't have it. I just wish we could get the kr with bench seats, I hate that damned bucket/console/bucket set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pwrstrokr6.4 View Post
probably not the one he is looking at.byron i love my 6.4 its a 250 but the engine is amazing.just tune the damn thing as soon as you get it.keep the dpf with you so if you do run into a problem you can change it real quick then call the dealer.
Yeah I hear ya, We figure we will get around 8-10mpg stock but around 12-14 tuned. One of our friends tows a 44' gooseneck and she gets 14 stock. But she is also pulling from Iowa to Kansas or Oklahoma and only stops a few times, so once she gets up to 55-65 it sips the fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors