Choices-Choices - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Choices-Choices

OK..I picked up an 08 F250 Harley Davidson about 2 weeks ago. I love the truck, much better than my 04 F250 Harley I traded. The truck has around 90k on the clock. I've gotten approval from the household financial manager to spend the money on the extended warranty (7/200k).
I just took it on a trip from Tucson to Northern Florida. Truck did great as long as I kept pumping copious amounts of diesel into it.
The truck went into regen about every hundred miles which means I got about 11 MPG average (hand calcd) on the trip.
I kept the RPM's around 2k or less, so I thought I 'd get a little better than this.
My question is should I buy the extended warranty or spend the cash on the DPF delete and tuner. I have 2K alloted for warranty or improvements...
Whaddya all think??

Thanks, TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM

DPF or Warranty

TJ - Not sure I'm much help but here are some thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj.brewster View Post
OK..I picked up an 08 F250 Harley Davidson about 2 weeks ago. I love the truck, much better than my 04 F250 Harley I traded. The truck has around 90k on the clock. I've gotten approval from the household financial manager to spend the money on the extended warranty (7/200k).
Assuming it was an early 2008 you have already consumed 3yrs and 90k of a future waranty (from time of original purchase). Something to think about. Did the prior owner have any issues? Are you? I have heard a person's 6.4 is either good or bad...not much inbetween.

Quote:
I just took it on a trip from Tucson to Northern Florida. Truck did great as long as I kept pumping copious amounts of diesel into it.
The truck went into regen about every hundred miles which means I got about 11 MPG average (hand calcd) on the trip.
I kept the RPM's around 2k or less, so I thought I 'd get a little better than this.
My 2009 was doing the same thing (150 mile regen) until it finally went into continuous regen. Trip to the dealer showed a bad differential pressure sensor on the DPF. This was replaced and the truck "re-flashed" (happens automatically everytime time when they hook it up to the computer, if out-of-date). Now I get 600+ miles between regens. Drove Texas to Colorado and back at 70 to 80 mph and my highest regen was 735 miles. I do use an additive/cetane booster and currently use Opti-Lube XPD (1/3oz per gal). Mileage calculated out to 16 mpg (highway) for tanks without regens.

Quote:
My question is should I buy the extended warranty or spend the cash on the DPF delete and tuner. I have 2K alloted for warranty or improvements...
Whaddya all think??

Thanks, TJ
Given they way fuel prices are going, and that our government wants us to pay the same as european countries ($7/gal) I lean toward the DPF delete to get higher mileage (circa 21 to 23 mph) and the ability to burn bio-diesel. I am facing the same dilemma with a 100k warranty and am open to any suggestions. Regardless, I'd get any issues on your 08 looked before 100k.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would forget the warranty and delete the dpf. Not only do you get better fuel mileage but it makes the truck more reliable and stops dumping fuel into the oil.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

H2C, Thanks for the info. The truck has a fairly clean history. I bought it from the original dealer. Turbos replaced at 5k cd player replaced at 22k all TSB's taken care of.
04 HD I think I'm leaning towards the dpf delete, it's even cheaper than the warranty
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
H2C, Thanks for the info. The truck has a fairly clean history. I bought it from the original dealer. Turbos replaced at 5k cd player replaced at 22k all TSB's taken care of.
04 HD I think I'm leaning towards the dpf delete, it's even cheaper than the warranty
i think that would be a good choice
Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Another vote for delete and tune.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright i'm convinced. Gonna delete the DPF. What's the best, most economical kit on the market? I'm not looking for a race truck. I just want to improve reliability and fuel economy. Spartan has great reputation, but it seems to be geared towards racing. What do you all think??
Old 12-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Alright i'm convinced. Gonna delete the DPF. What's the best, most economical kit on the market? I'm not looking for a race truck. I just want to improve reliability and fuel economy. Spartan has great reputation, but it seems to be geared towards racing. What do you all think??
I went with a Spartan. They have race tunes that you have to buy a different license to use, but the unit comes with I believe 13 tunes from 0 to 250 HP that are not considered race tunes.

Believe it or not, the best fuel mileage comes with the race tunes. I run the 275 on a daily basis, just don't drive it like I stole it.

You can also purchase the 310, and 350 tunes. If you buy the 275 and 310 tunes, it also comes with a 300 tune that provides smoother shifting. I have all the tunes except the 350 and like the 275 the best.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:46 AM

i went with a 5" flo pro exhaust and h&s minimaxx tuner. Couldnt be happier
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I went with a kit from sct came with livewire tuner and delete pipe. It was around 1300. My dealer said that's what they recommended. I think Sct, Spartan,h&s have the best I would just stay away from the bargain programmers but that's just me. You will love your truck deleted and tuned

Last edited by Fordman117; 12-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.