'Pop' in front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'Pop' in front end

So this last hunting season i spent a day beat'n up 'ol girl pretty hard. Alot of wheel hop as i was pushing several feet of snow and bust'n drifts. Now when i am going straight and start to turn left (not sure about right) it 'pops' in the front. took to dealership and they couldn't find what was wrong with it other than 'greased the stearing stops' (sounds stupid to me). but they were dumb enough to inform me that my train horns sound great (meaning they had to air up the system, as i leave it empty)

Long story short they spent too much time screwing around with my $hit, and didn't find the problem, any ideas???

thanks as always the .org rocks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Did it pop when you are making a tight turn?

I had the same problem with my truck today. Hubs were on auto and i was in 4x2 for most of the day. It went away after i actuated the 4x4 system a few times.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

balljoint(s), sway bar link ends? Jack front of vehicle up, do it on the axle or so you have a load on the spring. Whiggle wheel side to side and up and down movement as if turning but only the PLAY, do NOT turn the wheel otherwise your doing it wrong. Also put a big pry bar or so underneath wheel and pry up against wheel see if any movement up or down. If theres a little ok but if quite a bit you need balljoints, watch for movement, have somebody help you do this as you watch them. Grab sway bar link ends and see if any movement with load on truck, sometimes won't have any movement even if worn out but usually this will only make a noise when going over bumps

Last edited by russf; 12-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

yes in 4x2, popping before i get to a tight turn, but it does sound exaclty like when it is in 4x4 and turning tight, maybe a hub is hang'n up??

not sure about sway bar, balljoints,, one would THINK a dealership (good size one too) would find that??????
Old 12-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine does this as well and it is going in next week for this and a few other things so I will report back when I can on what if anything the issues are.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

would appreciate it since all they could do is 'play' with the horn rather than find the problem,, but it IS going back mon/tue because they are holding the bill ($102) i am supposed to pay (under warranty) since they couldn't find the problem... wtf???
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russf View Post
balljoint(s), sway bar link ends? Jack front of vehicle up, do it on the axle or so you have a load on the spring. Whiggle wheel side to side and up and down movement as if turning but only the PLAY, do NOT turn the wheel otherwise your doing it wrong. Also put a big pry bar or so underneath wheel and pry up against wheel see if any movement up or down. If theres a little ok but if quite a bit you need balljoints, watch for movement, have somebody help you do this as you watch them. Grab sway bar link ends and see if any movement with load on truck, sometimes won't have any movement even if worn out but usually this will only make a noise when going over bumps
even as hard as i was on it, (not THAT bad) i wouldn't think they could go out that fast with only 30,000miles on it, but anything is possible,,i will definately tell the dealership to check that out....
Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Emergency Services

Mine was doing the same thing, one of the hubs was sticking so the passenger side axle shaft was turning and binding. Get underneath and try to turn the axle shafts if they spin free, you're good, if they are tight or bind, try manually locking and unlocking that side as well as some jiggling on the axle shaft. I have to do this every once and a while.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

sounds like a good idea i will check it, thanks,,,,
Old 12-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
replaced a few front axle u-joints on 08+ vehicles under warranty. mostly trucks that get beat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.