Stuck in Regen? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stuck in Regen?

My 2010 6.4 has just over 4,000 miles on it now, and it has been going thru a regen about every 350 to 400 miles. Well today I had some running around to do, a lot of here and there driving stopping and starting the truck. Well it went into regen mode during one of the short trips, and everytime I put it into drive today it would start cleaning the filter again. Even if the truck was turned off for an hour or two as soon as I started it back up and put it into drive it would start. Then one time as I pulled out from a light a big puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust. It still continued to stay in regen the rest of the evening.

Any other time when I have had to stop during a regen it doesn't even go right back into cleaning mode on the next start. A couple of the trips today allowed the truck to regen for 25 to 30 minutes, and it still apparently hasn't completed the cycle. What's going on? I'm thinking I read a post a while back that was almost exactly like this but I can't really remember what the deal was.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My truck was constantly in regen a month ago, as it just started as we pulled in the driveway. The next three days I made short ( 5 mile) trips, never getting over 45mph. It was constantly in regen mode.

On the 4th day, I told the wife " lets go for a drive" and went out and drove for 20 or so minutes at 55mph on the back roads and the truck completed the regen cycle.

My truck also emitted a very large puff of smoke on the third day pulling away from a stop light.

So my advice is take her out on the highway.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try that this evening. I was a little worried with the puff of smoke I got, glad to hear I'm not the only one. Guess I just need to put her in the wind and let it do its job.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you make several short trips, or put it in park before the regen completes, it will start again later. If you do this 3 or more times, it will eventually go into regen at startup because it hasn't been able to complete the full regen process.

My guess is that you reached that point and just need to go for a drive so it can do it's thing.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM
To Many Projects

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check you air filter if it's pluged up it will also make this happen. i've had to change mine twice becuse of this.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

make sure you drive it until the regen completes. If not it will pick up where it left off, until the sensors are clean making it seem like it never stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.