Intake Hot Air Supply Tube Function? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intake Hot Air Supply Tube Function?

I am looking at putting a S&B Intake on my 6.4L. I was playing with the air filter yesterday and saw that there was a tube running from the top of the stock air box to a scoop positioned just above the engine. I have learned that this is the Hot Air Supply Tube. What is the function of this tube if we only want the engine to get cool, dense air? And would it hurt changing the course of this hose to where it gathers cooler air?

Also, this the S&B Kit completely sealed from the rest of the engine bay?

Just really curious about this Hot Air Supply Tube and its function?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the tube you are asking about is exactly what you mentioned.
It is a hot air supply and is of NO use. Most people remove it anyway.

Ford does say that it helps the heat get warm quicker in the winter.......I dont see it making that big of a difference at all.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Dont Mess With Texas!

hey spatel, what lift and tires you got on your rig? i love the way that truck sits...ive got an identical truck w/ diff steps and 4x4 logo
Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHunter83 View Post
I am looking at putting a S&B Intake on my 6.4L. I was playing with the air filter yesterday and saw that there was a tube running from the top of the stock air box to a scoop positioned just above the engine. I have learned that this is the Hot Air Supply Tube. What is the function of this tube if we only want the engine to get cool, dense air? And would it hurt changing the course of this hose to where it gathers cooler air?

Also, this the S&B Kit completely sealed from the rest of the engine bay?

Just really curious about this Hot Air Supply Tube and its function?

I just installed a S&B a little bit ago! The hot air tube is just that, I did install it into the box,because the box isn't completely sealed! Hope this helps!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM

If you ever drive through a snow storm, you would find out what it is there for! It is supposed to help melt the snow that will clog up your filter along with the other things mentioned. This is a problem with the design of where the stock box/aftermarket box pulls air. An aftermarket box does not fix this problem, I had one, and found it harder to unclog since you have to take an S&B completely apart to get the filter out.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
If you ever drive through a snow storm, you would find out what it is there for! It is supposed to help melt the snow that will clog up your filter along with the other things mentioned. This is a problem with the design of where the stock box/aftermarket box pulls air. An aftermarket box does not fix this problem, I had one, and found it harder to unclog since you have to take an S&B completely apart to get the filter out.
Having this in mind, is it wise to unhook the hose during the summer months and hook it up for the colder winter months in Canada? I have a S&B and was also wondering what that hose was for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.