2008 f450 1000 gallon avgas truck DPF questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 f450 1000 gallon avgas truck DPF questions

hi everybody, this is my first post on the site, my question is some what unique since most of you guys are running trucks quite different than the intended purpose of mine. I have a 2008 f450 chassis with a 1000 gallon 100ll avgas tank that spends 90% of its time sitting there idling on the tarmac running a PTO pump to fuel up aircraft. So far the trucks been great and we've been very happy with it, today i was noticing the section on DPF regeneration in the manual and i thought to my self hummmmmmmmm this could be a problem, its states "drive to clean the exhaust filter at 30mph for at least 20 minutes" this however is not possible at my airport (not only is the speed limit 15 but i can just imagine the looks of incoming pilots when they see me hot lapping the runways) and this truck is not street legal since it will never leave the airport, my first question is can I achieve the same effect by idling at a constant rpm with the vehicle in neutral? this i figured is a long shot since it sounds like this whole process is computer controlled, i am well aware that since it isn't street legal i could most likely remove some of these components and smog equipment with a DPF delete kit, but i live in CA and the greenies are becoming increasingly unrealistic with idling diesel policy, and we are inspected by quite a few different agencys. I was curious if any of you have heard of this problem with vehicles such as this truck, i'm still kind of perplexed that the manufacturer would have chosen an engine chassis combo for this application considering this process. thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

subscribed..... I'd yank the dpf...but being in california, IDK
Old 09-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

PM Me. I likely have a solution for you.

It may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction.

I will likely not be able to reply until sometime later on Sunday, in advance warning.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hillbilly will get ya going in the right track...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:48 AM

IMO Ford (or any of the other manufacturers for that matter) absolutely did NOT consider idle applications when they designed their reburn exhaust systems. I live in oil patch country where trucks sit on leases and idle all day. If I had a buck for every 6.4 or semis with reburn systems on them that I have towed I would be rich. For the exhaust system to work properly, you MUST take it for the prescribed drive when the truck wants it. It's especially bad during the winter when guys have no choice but to leave trucks running 24/7.

This has become a SERIOUS problem in my area and about the only fix that I have seen is a DPF delete...

Hillbilly, can you tell me about your solution? Either PM me or post it? Thanks.

Oh and ten points for the Robert Service quote

Last edited by JJFLASH; 09-05-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have nothing to add to this, but I just found this completely hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOfuel View Post
but i can just imagine the looks of incoming pilots when they see me hot lapping the runways
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Since it's not street legal, I'm wondering what CA would say about a DPF delete. Do they require emission components on construction equipment?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I have nothing to add to this, but I just found this completely hilarious
Yeah I thought that was pretty effin funny too lol
Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasltn View Post
Since it's not street legal, I'm wondering what CA would say about a DPF delete. Do they require emission components on construction equipment?
For equipment, tractors, large generators etc. over 50hp you pay a fee to the state to allow you to use a non emission controlled vehicle. I don't know if a truck without a DPF would be inspected by the state since it's not going to be licensed. Also if the truck is listed as off-road equipment, just as you would a farm truck, it shouldn't require smog or emissions equipment since it won't need to be licensed to drive on public roads.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks all for taking the time to reply, the more research i've done the less excited i am to have this system on my truck, i just talked to a tech today who told me that exhaust gas temps have been known to reach in excess of 3000 degrees Fahrenheit and he heard of a fuel truck that even cracked concrete in regen mode (my truck has a exhaust system that dumps under the front bumper, so its not to close to the tank) but considering those temps on a truck with a 1000 gallons of aviation grade fuel this seems like a issue that may not have been throughly considered by the manufacturer, but hind sight is always 20-20, so correct me if i'm wrong but this process is achieved by injected fuel into the cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.