Loud Fan Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loud Fan Noise

I was pulling a steep grade the other day (7-10%) with my toy hauler that weighs about 8500lbs. wet. The road was wet and it was raining so the road was a little muddy. I had to engage 4wheel drive to help keep rear tires from spinning as much. The cooling fan kicked on as it should and all was well for a while. Then I noticed that the trans temp was starting to go up a little. Thats when what sounded like another fan kicked on that was very loud. What was weird to me is that the fan sound was RPM specific in that the more RPM's the louder the fan got. The Trans Temp dropped to normal operating temps YAY! This fan or whatever continued to run until I got to the camp site and let the truck cool down. A few weeks later it came on again while pulling a 4wheeler trailer up a 13% grade at about 4000lbs. Just want to make sure all is normal with the excessive noise coming from this fan.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is but one fan on our trucks - and it does tend to cycle from loud to louder as your pulling up a strong grade.

I tow generally pretty heavy through the Appalachian mountans on a regular basis. My fan kicks on at about 240* coolant temp and as I am climbing the long grades - it will cycle on and off (lound to louder) till I reach the top and then continue to run until temp drops off about 40*. Then its back to normal.

I have heard the veins in the turbo also cycle under load but not sure this has anything to do with the sound your hearing.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
He is correct it is variable speed and from what I have personally heard in 6.0's it has about 3 speeds, small plane to stealth fighter!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

i hear my fan like that very often even when i am not towing but then again the average heat index around here all summer long is like 115* so i just figure that is normal for the fan i guess i will find out come winter time when the temps drops down to around 80* or so because thats about as cold as it gets down here
Old 09-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am pretty sure that it was a fan that I was hearing. In both cases I was only going about 10-25MPH with very little air to flow over the radiator and pushing the truck pretty hard. Just weird that when I let of the gas the RPM's on the fan would fall and then reapply gas and RPM's and sound increase. I always thought fan stayed on constant until Temps fall. Max RPM's on fan equal very loud!!! Hard to talk over it!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

yeah mines the same way when i take off from a red light my fan will run till i hit about 20 mph then stop but like i said it is f'in hot down here
Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
6.0's have a strange little sensor that decides as to what speed it goes and how it works
Old 09-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokingmyego View Post
I am pretty sure that it was a fan that I was hearing. In both cases I was only going about 10-25MPH with very little air to flow over the radiator and pushing the truck pretty hard. Just weird that when I let of the gas the RPM's on the fan would fall and then reapply gas and RPM's and sound increase. I always thought fan stayed on constant until Temps fall. Max RPM's on fan equal very loud!!! Hard to talk over it!
The reason the fan sound changes with engine speed is because the fan speed is changing as its belt driven off the engines crankshaft. As for going that slow with that much weight up that kind of grade you should probably use 4 low so that the torque converter can get into lockup and help keep the trans temps a bit lower. I'm new to these ford trans so not sure when the TC can go into lockup, the dodges have to be in 3rd gear before lockup can accrue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.