6.4 powerstroke or the 6.7 scorpion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 powerstroke or the 6.7 scorpion

im in trading my 2008 dodge cummins 3500 in this week and i have a choice between a 2010 lariat 6.4 powerstroke 4x4 srw or a 2011 6.7 lariat 4x4 srw scorpion.
1st reliablity, 2nd mileage, 3rd towing power?
im trying to avoid being another proud owner of brand new diesel engine design, like i was with my 6.7l cummins. i that visted the dealership 40+ times in a 24 month period with that new design, now out of warranty the time has come.

let me know, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 08 6.4 with 46k miles and no major issues. That said, the 6.7 will get better fuel mileage. The 6.4 is proven but the 6.7 has had few real issues. I think that we'll see some nice/normal improvements (durability/economy/power) in 2012 vs the 2011. It depends if you care about being a year 1 model tester or prefer to go with a proven design. Both are great trucks. Enjoy whatever choice that you make.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mileage ?

ive been leaning towards the 2010, that front end design is one of the nicest trucks ive seen. i was concerned that the 6.4 could only get around 16-17 highway at 70mph stock. ive been spoiled, my 05, cummins got 22mpg with some help from banks. believe it or not, my 08 6.7 was getting up to 26mpg highway with all the deletes and the smarty cr s-67. i would love to buy a truck and not have to make performance upgrades to it to stay away from the dealership and on the road working. if the massachusetts emission laws didn't change a month ago i would have one less thing to worry about with this truck. when i got the info about the delete kit and the smarty 11 months ago, mass still wasn't doing the emission tests.

btw, what are you getting for mileage and how do you drive?

when i have nothing in tow, i try to keep it around 7omph. i feel it saves the engines power for when you need it, and helps it last longer.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
To Many Projects

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My 08 F350 CC LB DRW w/ 4.10 gears gets 11.5-12mpg empty @70 MPH and 6.5-7mpg loaded @ 60-65MPH. From what ford service told me when they fix my truck the 6.4 have problems and are in offten the 6.7 havent had much problems with yet but time will tell. From what i've read here and other places the mpg are beter with the 6.7. Like I said Ford serivce told me that take it fo what It's worth. Good luck with your new truck.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 08 F-250 CC 4x4 srw. its got about 49k miles on it with no major issues. i just needed a radiator replaced a while back. there are a lot of these trucks that have some issues, but a ton that are very reliable. i feel it has proven itself. especially the 2010s. but i havent really heard of any issues with the 6.7. i think both are great trucks. it really all comes down to if you want to drive one thats been proven or if you want that brand new truck feeling again. either way i think you'll be making a safe choice. good luck with it and post some pics when you get it!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:29 PM

my 2008 6.4 has 35,000 on it. from the factory it got 13 mpg. i then put on 4 inch superlift and 35 and it got 11.5 mpg. i then added hypertech tuner and afe cold air, no improvement in mpg but inc in power. was going to trade for 2011, but only offered 24K. i then added dpf/cat delete kit and i am now up to 15.5 mpg. no problems with power/towing
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 AM
To Many Projects

I would love to do all the toys dpf/cat delete and all hear makes a big diffrence not after power but need mpg's. I just can't void my warranty. They just changed my injecton pump harrness( becuase it shorted out on a bolt ) i hate to see the bill on that!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM

the dpf/cat delete is bolt on, can replace stock unit for warranty work. sct livewire is not supp. to leave footprint.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 AM
To Many Projects

Thats what i have heard but like last week when my truck quit I wod be on the side of road changing it. I saw wile at ford refuse a truck becuase it had traices of a tuner (It was a banks) The writer and the Owner were having words
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinjracing View Post
Thats what i have heard but like last week when my truck quit I wod be on the side of road changing it. I saw wile at ford refuse a truck becuase it had traices of a tuner (It was a banks) The writer and the Owner were having words
I'm like you. I would hate to loose warranty...Only have 27k on my KR 2008...Love the truck and have not had any trouble with her...But I must admit I'd love to get more MPG. Power is not an issue to me...

I had a 2008 F-450 and I have to say the ride was better than the F-350 single rear wheel....The F-450 had a shorter turning radius that the F-350....
The mileage was terrible on the F-450...8 to 9mpg.....Had a change to jump off and I did....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.