Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

manual trucks

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  B585Ford 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many 6.4 guys have manuals and if you had to special order them or if it just took you forever to find one that was? I'm interested in tryin to find one thanks in advance

#3 ·
I test drove a 08 last year. It only had 75 miles but was at a Dodge dealership. :dunno: They was selling it as "used". It had IMO quite a bit more low end power than my 6.0. Seen couple on Ebay the last couple years, but very very rare.

#4 ·
I think they had to be special ordered. From what I know there is an issue of Diesel Power Mag and one feature had a 6.4 custom ordered with a manual

#5 ·
yeah both of my buddies had to special order thm and my one buddy was in diesel power they are much nicer and more power

#9 ·
Can you still use tuners with out any issues on the manual trucks? I see a nice '08 f450 with a stick and was wondering.

#11 ·
Inverted: Really??? Twice the truck??? I think not. Granted all of my previous trucks have been manual but I have absolutely NO problem with my auto. You might get a touch better mileage (as in .10). Don't know where the twice comes from. The only thing I know I can't do is rock the truck if stuck. Don't know for sure that a manual can either once you get off the throttle (at least to be effective). I drove both and determined the 5 speed was fine. Where were you with the 3 and 4 speed??? Not even once the truck. IMO.

Don't know about tuners on a manual, but then again don't know much about tuners on the autos. I'm still under warranty and intend on leaving it that way.

#13 · (Edited)
I knew someone would be along to argue my opinion. My personal truck which is also a 2008 is an automatic, so I know the pros and cons of both. Where the manual really shines is off road, my work truck sees a lot of off road on Wild Land Fires. Snow plowing is also better with a manual in my opinion, see the word opinion? Mileage is also better than .10 than an automatic and does not take up as much horsepower as an automatic.

I am sure I could come up with some other situations where I prefer a manual but I am busy and have other things to do. America is great though, you get to think your automatic is superior to my manual work truck. Take care...Jeff

#12 ·
I bought my 2010 6 speed this past January. I looked for almost a year before I found one with a stick and kept being told by the different dealers that they didn't even make them anymore. I think they were just trying to sell one off the lot and didn't want to go to the trouble of either finding one or ordering one. I found this dealer that had actually 2 of them on their lot. The best part for me was I wanted black and that was the color they had it in.

I would have to say that I would agree that it has more power than the auto's, not to diminish the power in the auto's but I am much happier with the 6 speed.

IMO it is a shame Ford decided to go away from the manuals alltogether in the 11's

#14 ·
probally have to special order

after having a manual 250, i dont think ill ever switch back

#15 ·
Now where in my post did I say an auto was better then a manual??? I questioned the statement that a manual is twice as much truck, your words. I disagreed with that statement, period.

#18 · (Edited)
You said it was not even once the truck, also that it was not in fact twice the truck. That tells me, in your opinion, the auto is as good or better if a manual is not even once the truck. Does not matter, I am not here to argue with people over opinions...there is that word again. Enjoy your truck and I sincerely mean that, although my opinion now is that a manual is ten times the truck. Take care...Jeff

Can't resist. How do you think the two compare when it comes to the following?

Towing
Off road
Plowing
Getting unstuck
Fuel Mileage
Transmission longevity and problems in general
Leaving the most engine horse power available to the wheels

#16 ·
The dealership near me ussually has one hand shaker in stock but it is almost always a plain jane xl, this is out of about 30+ trucks in stock at any give time. Hand shakers are nice to tow with but these new autos that are being made are pretty bad arse and durable.

#17 ·
manual or auto is one of the thing tuners ask about, it's not a big deal, from what i understand autos are quicker on the drag strip, but otherwise it's pretty much up to the owner, unless it involves towing or mountain roads, then it's a no brainer, even if you have to order the manual.

#20 ·
Dad's got one with a blackmaxx and an auto with the blackmaxx. The auto gets better mpg. Not to mention the stick is quite unrully turned on anything besides a mild setting. If it's hooked to a trailer though it actually does quite well. But for a daily driver go auto definitely.

#24 ·
Mor4wd: Go back and read my posts. I did not hate on manuals or autos. I said a manual is not 2 times a better truck (over an auto). Questions were asked. Off road: If you buy a 8000lb+ truck to go off roading in, good luck with it. Towing: I love my automatic towing. Snow plowing: I don't plow snow. Being stuck: You definately win that one. Once my truck was stuck, I had to get the tractor to pull it out. At no time in any of my posts have I said a word bad about a manual transmission. I've probably owned many more then some of you, whether it be car or truck. I'm 48 and have owned a plethora of vehicles many auto's and many sticks. Trucks and cars. My first new car was a 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix (junk), second 1983 Z28 5 speed, loved the car the sync's went out 3 times and it got bought back. Bought a 77 Intl. Scout with a 727 Torqueflt auto. It was bullet proof. Etc. Etc.

IMO: If you drive the truck for other then just towing GW loads then the auto is the way to go on these trucks. I haven't read one gripe on this forum or others about it unless it's been tuned.

#26 ·
I got a six speed, you know the world is changing when the guy at the dealership asked me to bring the truck around, I said sure but why? he said 'it's a stick':hehe: I do a lot of city driving and I have no problems at all, try drivng a 379 pete with a 18dO in the city:p

#27 ·
I run a Mini Max in my 08, 6speed manual with a performance clutch (velair) (don't think I spelled it right). It shudders in reverse a little unless you really get the feel for the clutch. I pull a 16' stock trailer and dump trailer and I think a stick gives you much better control when pulling, and especially stopping. I've seen too many automatics burn up in farm trucks including my old 6.9. I love the Mini Max as I can increase HP on the fly, nice with a trailer on. I'm averaging 14.3 mpg all around. The computer claims 14.7 mpg but my average is calculated from about 2000 miles of driving and checking every fill up. I shopped for awhile because I didn't want a HD truck with an auto. And the best part is my wife doesn't like the stiff clutch so she's happy with the old F150 5 speed!

#28 ·
Fellow gear jammer.....wouldn't trade it for anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.