what is better the 6.0 or 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is better the 6.0 or 6.4

I have an 05 6.0 f350 havent had much of any problems and my trucks at 150,000 mile i was thinking of getting a new truck what does anyone think of the 6.4? is it any better than the 6.0? i heard it was close to the same motor with minor differances? whats ur imput?

thanks matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dont know if it is any better they both have there minor problems.
i do know that the 6.4 get terblle gas millage right out of the gate.

but they are night and day difference as for motors. the only thing they have in common is that the both have eight cylinders and are made by international. the 6.0 is a huei injection like the 7.3 the 6.4 is a common rail injection like the fummins, it also is a twin turbo.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:12 PM

6.4 makes tons of power with very few mods where the 6.0's take alot more mods to make the same power.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.4 is better hands down. the gas mileage isnt great stock, but a few mods and that will be fixed.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-STROKER View Post
i dont know if it is any better they both have there minor problems.
i do know that the 6.4 get terblle gas millage right out of the gate.

but they are night and day difference as for motors. the only thing they have in common is that the both have eight cylinders and are made by international. the 6.0 is a huei injection like the 7.3 the 6.4 is a common rail injection like the fummins, it also is a twin turbo.
Why does everyone say that? my 6.4 got over 17 mpg on the 200mi trip home from the dealer

Hands down, the 6.4 is better...or I should say I like the 6.4 better, a lot better
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 PM

that great that your truck is getting 17mpg. is that hand calculated or by you truck cpu. cause my boss and cousins truck get like 12-13 mpg from the factory
Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-STROKER View Post
that great that your truck is getting 17mpg. is that hand calculated or by you truck cpu. cause my boss and cousins truck get like 12-13 mpg from the factory
For some reason the 2010 trucks are getting great mpg. I don't know cause they are so new or ford did something to it different then others but when my truck was stock I was avg about 16.5 per fill up and that was hand calculated. But I do about 90% hwy driving. I got my truck in June and I already have 11k miles on the truck.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There are pros and cons to both engines.

We all know what the 6.0 weaknesses are. Once those are taken care of, it can be a great engine. It's also easier to work on than the 6.4.

The 6.4 is also a great engine but the emissions equipment is the only negative. Tuned, it can produce huge amounts of power that is unmatched. It's much harder to work on it though because it's so cramped inside the engine compartment.

I would go with the 6.4 because of the refined body that wraps around it. The 08 - 10 truck bodies is much better IMO. But remember for major engine work the body has to come off.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My '08 F-350 is as big as it gets, dually, 4x4, long bed, crew cab, 4.10 LS, automatic, gooseneck hitch -- probably 9500 pounds rolling with my family and vacation gear. And I get 17-18 MPG on 100% highway hand calculated trips if I can keep my foot off the accelerator and keep speeds under 65 MPH. Putting around town, it's closer to 12-13 MPG hand-calculated.

1) Don't trust the in-dash MPG measurement. It clearly lies. When it says 15 MPG average for a mixed city-highway tank, my calculator and a consistent fill level shows me 13.

2) Keep speed under 65-67 MPH if you can. These trucks have a huge frontal area, and wind resistance becomes a major obstacle as speed increases. A truck that gets 18 MPG on the open highway at 60 MPH probably gets 13 MPG at 75 MPH. Keep an eye on the turbo boost -- I try to keep my boost under 7 PSI on the highway if I'm trying to stretch the miles on a tank between stops.

Greg
Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spend the fuel money have fun don;t clog up the freeway like the prius checking his mileage at 55 in a 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.