Trade a Dodge 5.9 Cummins for a 2010 Ford 6.4??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trade a Dodge 5.9 Cummins for a 2010 Ford 6.4???

Am I crazy or what? I can get a great deal on a 2010 Ford 6.4 Powerstroke. I'm having a real hard time with this decision but I'm tired of my Dodge. I've got 20,000 miles on it, all the steering components need replaced and it's just not as comfortable as my son's Ford. For one, I can't believe the steering is shot at 20K and it's still in stock form, no lift. The warranty has expired and I'm wondering what else is going to go wrong.

My sister has had to do the front end on her Dodge, the rear end went out a while back and now they lost a couple of injectors! Is this what I can expect out of my Dodge?

I know this is a Ford forum but I'd appreciate your honest opinion of the Ford 6.4 vs. Cummins 5.9. I honestly believe the Ford truck is better built but I'm struggling with the 6.4 and the emissions on it. The guy we just bought my son's 7.3 from couldn't believe I'd make this trade. He says it's easier to work on the Dodge than the Ford and with him telling me this, really has me second guessing.

Please help. I have to give the dealer and answer Monday if I'm taking the deal or not.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Ghamilton; 08-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 5.9 is easier to work on. The 5.9 is a proven engine and even though I'm a ford guy the 5.9 is king. But as far as the 6.4 goes if you get rid of the emission stuff I think this engine can be just as good or maybe better then the 7.3. And this 6.4 responds well to mods. Get the mods I have in my sig you will have close to 500 hp at the wheels over 1000 rwtq and get 20 plus mpg on the hwy. But overall ford is a better truck.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Can the stock tranny take a 250 Hp tune? That amazes me. I don't dare add 75 or even 100 HP to the Dodge if I don't want to rebuild the tranny much less a 250 tune. Wow!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamilton View Post
Can the stock tranny take a 250 Hp tune? That amazes me. I don't dare add 75 or even 100 HP to the Dodge if I don't want to rebuild the tranny much less a 250 tune. Wow!!!
There are guys out there running 345 tunes with stock tranny's. If you don't hammer it all the time or take it to the track and drive like a decent human being then it will last longer. Will it last as long as a stock truck? Probably not.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:01 PM

tranny can handle the 250 tune no problem.

If you're going to do the dpf delete, get the ford. If not, fix the dodge and keep it.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 PM

Maybe I should keep the Dodge then. We've go to do the emissions testing every year where I'm at, so I don't want to have to put everything back on every year.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should keep the Dodge then. We've go to do the emissions testing every year where I'm at, so I don't want to have to put everything back on every year.
What year is your dodge?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:20 PM

It's an early 2007.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
It's an early 2007.
Oh yeah I would keep that truck. I'm a ford guy and would never own a dodge truck. But a truck that new and you only have 20k miles on it I would keep it for a while.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

I read the whole thread, and i agree w/all the posts. i know your frustration, ALLOT of my family has wen to the 5.9, but its a diamond sitting in a plastic band (engine vs. body). over all if you cant mod the 6.4 a bit then it sits #2 to the cummins. if you are a guys that demands the best product (and im not a crazy ford guy) then the 6.4 w/dpf delete and tune is hands down the best. i almost had a mega cab 5.9 in the drive way when i changed my mind. glad i did now cause my truck runs like a rapped ape!!!!
fyi: you dont have to weld the mods and its undetectable, take the mods off when you get your safety/emissions check and replace w/stock and your good. most of the mechs at ford dealerships dont give a **** anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.