Aux Fuel Tanks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Aux Fuel Tanks

I bought an '09, 6.4 and it has an aux fuel tank. There is a single 3/8's hose coming from the aux tank going thru the bed and connected to the fuel fill hose pipe right before it enters the factory fuel tank. It seems to be a gravity flow into the main tank. The tank is great but my question is, being new to diesels,, should this line have a filter of some sort in it to prevent debris from getting into the fuel tank and if so what would be recommended??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would. On mine i have the pump nozzle and the pump has a fuel water separator on it. Plus you dont know how careful the other person with putting fuel in it. You could go down to any parts house and get a in line filter.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

You'll want to be careful with that type of setup. Any tampering with the stock fuel system automatically voids the warranty on the truck. Not too mention having a gravity fed tank is illegal according to the DOT.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor4wd View Post
You'll want to be careful with that type of setup. Any tampering with the stock fuel system automatically voids the warranty on the truck. Not too mention having a gravity fed tank is illegal according to the DOT.
The bad thing is I cant see where the line from the aux tank is actually connected. I can feel it with my hand and it feels like some kind of T. The location of the connection seems like to be right after the flex line from the primary fill is connected to a hard line going into the top of the main tank. Like i said I cant see it, only feel.

Is there is any chance that this type of connection could effect the actual mileage or the flow sensor that is used to calculate the mileage. I have never had a diesel but this one seems to be terribly low, 7-10 mpg in town. I am not sure what the highway mileage is, but from the intown being what it is I cant see the hwy being very high.

What is everyone else getting with these engines,, '09/6.4, 250-King Ranch, 36k miles??
Old 08-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aux Fuel Tank

The bad thing is I cant see where the line from the aux tank is actually connected. I can feel it with my hand and it feels like some kind of T. The location of the connection seems like to be right after the flex line from the primary fill is connected to a hard line going into the top of the main tank. Like i said I cant see it, only feel.

Is there is any chance that this type of connection could effect the actual mileage or the flow sensor that is used to calculate the mileage. I have never had a diesel but this one seems to be terribly low, 7-10 mpg in town. I am not sure what the highway mileage is, but from the intown being what it is I cant see the hwy being very high.

What is everyone else getting with these engines,, '09/6.4, 250-King Ranch, 36k miles??[/
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
That's BS. Gravity fed is legal as long as it is to the main tank and not directly to the injectors. What make of fuel tank do you have? RDS sells a diesel kit that has a shutoff so the main tank will not overfill.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
I would take a look at the last two pages of the linked .pdf file and perhaps review your statement:
http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...7-06-18_R1.pdf
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aux Fuel Tank

The aux tank is an RDS and has a small 3/8" shutoff valve right at the tank, but as far as something else underneath at the main tank, if it has it I cant see it. The hose frmo the RDS snakes over between the frame and the underside of the bed, on over into the main tank fill line from the fender hose??? Does this mean I can just leave the shutoff at the aux turned on when there is fuel there? or do I just open it when I want to transfer fuel from aux to main? The other concern is contaminants in the aux. Should I install a small filter and/or another drain system somewhere under the bed?

I would like to use this tank, since I cant go far on the main. I am only getting 7-9 in town and a max of 9-10.5 on the road. My next project is to figure out why I am getting such low mpg's,, everyone else seems to be getting at least 10-11 in town and more on the hwy!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can check out the RDS diesel install kit at this link:
Diesel Install Kit for Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Tank

It stops the flow of fuel when it gets part way up the filler tube so there is no overflow possibility. I have it and I have a electric solenoid switch to control the flow.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

I did misread the FMCA regulations. PVSAINT is correct. But I know for a fact that first part of my statement is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.