Should I do it??? Buy a 6.4 that is! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I do it??? Buy a 6.4 that is!

First of all, hello from Colorado and this is my first post here. I must admit I've been an avid Dodge fan for a while now. I know, I know! I have a 2500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering trading for a 6.4. The only reason I'm thinking about trading is due to front end problems I'm having, worries about the auto tranny and my sister just put the second set of injectors in her truck with 120,000. They've had to rebuild the front end on their truck as well.

I love the 2011 with a 6.7 but can not swing what they want for them. However, with the deals they seem to be making on the 6.4, I'm considering a trade

I have concerns over the 6.4 and all the emissions crap they have on them. Are they all that bad? Obviously I can't do a DPF delete since I live in Co and have to do emissions testing. Is the fuel milage on these trucks that bad? I hear stories of 12 mpg, what will I get towing 6000 - 7000 lbs? Can a guy get along with the DPF and not have a bunch of issues?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't know what to do. My son is a Powerstroke freak and sure isn't trying to talk me out of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you going to be doing hwy or city driving mostly? If hwy and you are looking at a 2010 then you can see up 18 mpg on the hwy. If you do alot of city then 12-14 mpg you will see. And when towing you'll probable see low teens.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No shame for the Dodge owners here. I used to have a '00 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, and it was a great truck. I used to get 23 mpg on the highway @ 65 MPH with +70 hp injectors and a boost module, if I could keep my foot off the pedal. The only way you'll get that kind of mileage on a F-250/F-350 6.4L is downhill. =)

I picked up a '08 F-350 Dually, 6.4L PSD, automatic, 4x4, 4.10 gears, crew cab, and long bed -- about as big as you can get. It turns 17-18 mpg on the highway, 14-15 mpg mixed around town. My truck has 82,000 miles on it, and runs like a top.

My ballpark estimate for 7000 lb trailer on level ground is is about 12 mpg highway.

Greg
Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys. Most of my driving will be mixed, city and highway. Those numbers aren't that bad. Better than I expected anyway.

Any reason I shouldn't make the trade? Any big problems that could possibly make me regret it? I mean a few hundred on my front end, I can handle. What I don't want to do is rebuild the tranny for $4k!

Greg.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM

One more question. Is the tranny on 2010 the same as on the 2006 model with a 6.0? Did they make any major changes or upgrades to it?

I tow with one of the trannys in a 2006 at work and really enjoy the tranny when running down a long grade.

Thanks,

Greg.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghamilton View Post
One more question. Is the tranny on 2010 the same as on the 2006 model with a 6.0? Did they make any major changes or upgrades to it?

I tow with one of the trannys in a 2006 at work and really enjoy the tranny when running down a long grade.

Thanks,

Greg.
Yes the tranny is the same.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:37 PM

I ve ran both a 5.9 ctd and a few 7.3 psd. I would say put a built trans and rebuild the front end on your ctd if you need a work truck. But if you need a truck to tow every now and then and be a great DD or truck for a trip then get the ford, but don't expect the mileage to be great. The 6.4 psd gets the worst mpg out of everything i have ever owned,but it is the best riding,and nicest truck i have ever owned. I dont tow much less then 10k but i get 9 mpg towing and 11-12 around town and as high as 17 on the hyw doing 70. and thats lifted with the dpf on.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:

I have concerns over the 6.4 and all the emissions crap they have on them. Are they all that bad? Obviously I can't do a DPF delete since I live in Co and have to do emissions testing. Is the fuel milage on these trucks that bad? I hear stories of 12 mpg, what will I get towing 6000 - 7000 lbs? Can a guy get along with the DPF and not have a bunch of issues?
the 2011s have more emissions crap on them than the 6.4s, i had the same question about a month ago, i decided to go with a 6.4 because i couldnt see the pricetag and i didnt like the def as well...just my 2 cents
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 AM

I totally stock and can't get more then 13.5 14 mpg empty on the highway..72 mph. Forget in town or towing. 10 mpg or less towing 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer empty.. Like my dealer said " 6.4's a Hog"
Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
First of all, hello from Colorado and this is my first post here. I must admit I've been an avid Dodge fan for a while now. I know, I know! I have a 2500 with the 5.9 that I'm considering trading for a 6.4. The only reason I'm thinking about trading is due to front end problems I'm having, worries about the auto tranny and my sister just put the second set of injectors in her truck with 120,000. They've had to rebuild the front end on their truck as well.

I love the 2011 with a 6.7 but can not swing what they want for them. However, with the deals they seem to be making on the 6.4, I'm considering a trade

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't know what to do. My son is a Powerstroke freak and sure isn't trying to talk me out of it
Do it!!!! Dont even worry about the emissions testing. Ditch the DPF and tune it, and whenever you have to get it inspected, just switch it back. it's not a hard process at all. and with the tune, you will be getting much better mpg. and your son sounds like a smart guy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.