Tire pressure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire pressure?

What tire pressure is everyone running for daily driving with 35x12.50/20s. I have the Nitto Trail grapplers. I am having a problem with getting them balanced. It is rough enough to make your voice jump between 40 and 50. The local tire shop says they are dead on with their balancer. They suggested balancing beads. Anyone using these? Didn't want to try them without knowing something about them and if they mess up the tires. I do have 1/4" spacers all the way around, bnut didn't think they would cause this. I may take it somewhere else tomorrow to get a second opinion. When I checked the pressure in the tires, I found bpth rear around 72psi. The passenger front around 70psi. and the driver front around 58psi. I let the air out to 58psi all the way around. It seened to help a little. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 AM

Well, going to try the balancing beads. Putting 6oz. Pack in each tire. Hope this fixes the problem. I'll post the results.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 AM

I've got the same tires on my factory 20s, and they balanced out very well according to discount tire. Maybe you should take it to one of the bigger chain places or a truck stop to see. I've never heard of balancing beads or any of those things actually working. If you think about it, those places are used to doing smaller tires, but the truck stops would do bigger stuff....
Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 AM

They mounted and balanced the first time. I brought it back the next day because of the ride bouncing everywhere around 40-50mph. They then said a couple of the tires were out 3oz. or so. This is 1 day after supposedly balancing the first time. Now they are saying they are balanced according to the balancer. Still have enough bouncing at 45mph to make your voice jump when talking. Already bought the beads, and they are putting them in now. If this doesn't work, I'm going somewhere else. On top of everything, they damaged one of my KR center caps. The manager said just to get another one and bring him the invoice. Man...always somethin
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM

I had a local discount tire put 35s on my dodge and they bounced pretty good. I took them off the next day and put them on my balancer at work and they were a good 12 oz off on a few. I've had customers get tires from there and they were far off too. After I balanced my tires they rode smooth for 20k miles till I got rid of the truck for my ford.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
aluminum tubing engineer

...if your spacers arent hub centric you will have that exact problem
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM

Just 1/4" spacers. Will they cause that? Anyway, the truck is at a different shop now. They are dismounting the tires, removing the beads, re-mounting and balancing. They said they could do it. I know people with bigger tires go them as well. A friend of mine had 44" tires balanced there. They said the spacers would not cause my problem. How do you know if they are hub-centric? I did not ask when I bought them.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Finally...Got an answer from the second tire shop. Used a road force balancer and found that passenger side rear tire was out of round. Called Discount Direct...I had to purchase another tire to swap out. They e-mailed a shipping label to send back the deformed tire once the new tire arrives and is swapped out. They will re-emburse my card acct. when deformed tire is recieved. Oh. And I removed the spacers. It helped alot. Evidently they are not hub-centric. So after $107 for mounting/balanciing the first time. $45 for spacers. $30 for balancing beads (which are removed now). $50 for second tire shop to dismount, remove beads, mount/balance, and tell me what was wrong(had someone sweet talk them for that deal). I now have a little piece of mind. Now just waiting for my new tire to arrive (maybe Wed. or Thurs.). The spacers were not much, but did make a difference in looks and rubbing on the trailing arm. I guess I need to find a set of hub-centric spacers. Where can I get a set?

Last edited by Down2Ride; 08-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.