Should I trade for a duramax Before warranty is over? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I trade for a duramax Before warranty is over?

Well I just wanted some opinions I can't decide on whats the best way to go and thought about seeing what you guys think. Truck is a 2009 6.4l f-350

I am afraid that in 15K miles (6 months) when my warranty expires that something could happen. I am scared that even if something small happens I would have to pay for a cab off which is alot of money.

I also am unsure of the longevity of this motor. The more time that goes by the more you see problems posted on this forum. I am starting to believe that this motor is only good for around 100,000 miles.

The trade is for 2010 gmc sierra duramax Loaded and it will increase my payment from $740 a month to $833. this is because GM is having a 0% for 72 month deal going on.

Am I over reacting. curious to here your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo830 View Post

Take a look at the duramax forum and it will convince you that they are no good either. Forums can be scary places. Hundreds of thousands of trucks never have issues. Forums are the places you read about the ones that do.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

being unbiased i can honestly say i'm impressed witht the new duramax.. a buddy of mine has one and doesnt know what it means to take it easy.. i installed an edge programmer on it with everything set to the highest setting... nothing compared to a spartan but still damn strong and an airaid intake.. he's literally run it so hard pulling tractors around and driving it like a sports car that the media in the dpf has actually deteriated and it smokes black coal like a freight train .. drove it awhile back at 45k and everything is still tight as can beand runs like a top.. the inside is real nice and the seats are pretty comfy.. i wouldn't mind having one myself..
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo830 View Post
Well I just wanted some opinions I can't decide on whats the best way to go and thought about seeing what you guys think. Truck is a 2009 6.4l f-350

I am afraid that in 15K miles (6 months) when my warranty expires that something could happen. I am scared that even if something small happens I would have to pay for a cab off which is alot of money.

I also am unsure of the longevity of this motor. The more time that goes by the more you see problems posted on this forum. I am starting to believe that this motor is only good for around 100,000 miles.

The trade is for 2010 gmc sierra duramax Loaded and it will increase my payment from $740 a month to $833. this is because GM is having a 0% for 72 month deal going on.

If you haven't notice but most of the trucks with the 6.4 that have had problems are the job 1 and job 2 trucks. You don't see too many job 3 or 09-10 trucks that have problems. I think you are over reacting just a bit. This motor is good well pass the 100k mile mark.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Get an extended warranty. A lot cheaper and still have a REAL truck.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Dually Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
If you haven't notice but most of the trucks with the 6.4 that have had problems are the job 1 and job 2 trucks. You don't see too many job 3 or 09-10 trucks that have problems. I think you are over reacting just a bit. This motor is good well pass the 100k mile mark.
Like someone said hundreds of thousands trucks out there, 2008 have been out since 2007 therefore more of them! I have a job 1 F350 Spartan 275 tuned I run it hard and have 67000 miles on it and no problems so I guess not everyone is having issues and I am tired of hearing about it always being job one. Fords rule simple a lot more of them on the road.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Everyone I know that owns a duramax has had tranny problems. Most of them within the first couple weeks of owning. One of my friends is constantly *****ing about the truck being back at the dealer. Recently rode in my truck and loved it. Saw what I paid for my used 2008 KR vs. What was paid for the new duramax and said, "I am physically nauseaus." also said "I have sat in a lot of nice trucks, and this is by far the nicest truck I have ever sat in".
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think you're confusing the 6.4 with the 6.0............I can say this as I own a 6.0...............
Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammett88 View Post
being unbiased i can honestly say i'm impressed witht the new duramax.. a buddy of mine has one and doesnt know what it means to take it easy.. i installed an edge programmer on it with everything set to the highest setting... nothing compared to a spartan but still damn strong and an airaid intake.. he's literally run it so hard pulling tractors around and driving it like a sports car that the media in the dpf has actually deteriated and it smokes black coal like a freight train .. drove it awhile back at 45k and everything is still tight as can beand runs like a top.. the inside is real nice and the seats are pretty comfy.. i wouldn't mind having one myself..
Definately don't buy a used truck from this guy!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Here is one for you,

I had an 08 Silverado 2500 HD and an 09 Silverado Dually 3500 HD in our Fleet. I say I had... Girls truck, weak front end, weak plasics, plastic wheel covers to look like a dually in alloy but not... Heck a shopping cart dented the rear bumper in the 2500 HD... If you are a girl, going to stay in town, just go shopping and pick up the kids??? Then ok go Chebby..

If you are going to work it, stay with the Man's Truck, and there is NOTHING wrong with the 6.4. Old International Harvester tried to save reputation by OVERBUILDING it. 99% of the problems are caused by water / condensation in the diesel, poor service, and not changing the oil enough. My 09 F-450 IS THE TOP OF THE HEAP...

And dats juz da truth....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.