Help - Towing problems. Posted in tow section also - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help - Towing problems. Posted in tow section also

Hello all,

I'm a Marine moving from Jacksonville, NC to San Diego, CA and have completed the first leg of my trip. I'm towing my wifes Volvo XC90 on my 18' MasterTow car hauler with my '10 F-250. The car hauler is overbuilt and has a GAWR of 10K. My problem is after the first fuel stop I was rechecking the load and both of the front (has dual tires) trailer tires are scalloping BAD. I checked the air and it was slightly low so I aired up all the tires to 55PSI (max is 65 cold) since they were hot. During the next leg there seemed to be no new scalloping on the front tires, so I hope it's the PSI and not a bent axle, etc.

I know the front tires are the "scrub" tires, but DANG! I didn't think they would wear that fast. I repacked all the wheel bearings last weekend and I checked for slop in them this morning and there was none. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What are your tire pressures supposed to be at on the trailer according to the sidewall? Also, is the volvo too far forward? When stopped your trailer should be flat and not nose down. When you look at your truck how level is it?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

How old are the tires?

Looks like belt shift to me...but hard to say being as there are sooo many variables when it comes to trailer tires.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should be running your tire pressure closer to 60-62 psi, 10 psi lower than whet it says for maximum weight,especially when it is hot out, will cause alot of problems. Also, tire balance or a bent wheel could also cause problems. Looking at your problem , it still could be an alignment problem. Also, keep your speed around 65 with those tires and the heat.

Also, the front tires aren't the scrub tires, if everything is right, the tires should wear the same or a little more on the back.

Last edited by StarDriver; 08-01-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM

hey Devil Dog,

you need to back that Volvo onto the trailer, and if you have to get a new tire then try running a " E " rated tire which is a 10 PLY .
and like the super hauler above me said, dont play about with the tire presure

(i dond think you have a bent axle)

GOOD LUCK
-P3 GUY!
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Backing the car on the trailer would put all the weight on the back of the trailer, I thought you wanted it more towards the front?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
Backing the car on the trailer would put all the weight on the back of the trailer, I thought you wanted it more towards the front?
yea your absolutely right (and you know that lol) but the traier and rig is so small it may work the happy medium for weight. JMO

just thinking outside the box.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Backing on the trailer will cause a sway issue, ask me how I know. It looks like the Volvo is up too far to me. On my flat trailer I marked where my front wheel goes when I haul my cars, I am always looking for the best balance.

I towed my open trailer last week on a 350 mile one way trip and it was 99 to 103 degrees out, I did not have a problem with pressures in the hot weather but as Stardriver says, keep your speeds down.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

All, thanks for all the advice/corrections. I'm stopped in Birmingham, AL for the next few days and I'm going to hit the scales, recheck my bearings, axle alignment, etc. Also, I do think I had the Volvo a little too far fwd on the trailer.

My truck has the ICON 2.5" leveling kit on it and it was squatting about an inch. I think it was a combination of having the car too far forward AND having about 1500lbs of stuff in the back. I think I'm going to rotate the tires, air them up to 60-62 cold, move the CG back a little, and see how they wear from here to Memphis, TN which is my next stop. If it's still a problem in Memphis, I'll go from there.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

I don't understand why you say he should back the car onto the trailer. The front of the car is made to cut the wind, not the rear of the car. Load the car on the trailer facing forward and try to get about 12 to 15 % of the weight on your truck hitch, and by all means air the tires up to 60 to 65 lbs. Hope you have a safe trip and Thanks for your Service to our country.
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.