08 vs. 09/10 shift patterns - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 vs. 09/10 shift patterns

I have an 08 250 4x4 and love the truck but am disappointed with the shift patterns. Rode in my Dad's 09 (350 4x4 SRW) recently and his TQ locks in both 4th and 5th gear. No, it was NOT in tow haul. Mine only does this when in tow haul. Also, his defintely stays locked and in 5th gear to a lower mph vs. mine. Mine unlocks at about 50 and his stays locked to at least 5 mph lower. Is this an 08 vs. 09 difference? 250 vs. 350? Can an 08 be reflashed to shift like an 09?

Any feedback is apprecated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
My 2010 locks into 5th at 45 mph.

I don't have any answers for you, just letting you know when mine will lock into 5th.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcook View Post
I have an 08 250 4x4 and love the truck but am disappointed with the shift patterns. Rode in my Dad's 09 (350 4x4 SRW) recently and his TQ locks in both 4th and 5th gear. No, it was NOT in tow haul. Mine only does this when in tow haul. Also, his defintely stays locked and in 5th gear to a lower mph vs. mine. Mine unlocks at about 50 and his stays locked to at least 5 mph lower. Is this an 08 vs. 09 difference? 250 vs. 350? Can an 08 be reflashed to shift like an 09?

Any feedback is apprecated
u might ask ur dealer about getting the latest flash put on it. not sure if that would change it or not, but it could. i know what u mean i just traded 08 for a 10 and like the newer shift pattern better as well. seems to feel more powerful.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to mattyl
my 08 f30 dually locks at 43-45 mph unless i have my foot in it hard don't know aboout 4th gear i was told that they don't shift into 4th unless it is really cold out and i count the shifts and most of the time i don't count the 4th shift so it might be jumping from 3rd to fith
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Dually Dog

How can you tell when it locks?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley F350 View Post
How can you tell when it locks?
It feels like a shift, but right afterwards, if put your foot into, the rpms and mph go up together and its harder to jump the rpms up when you get on it, unless you floor it and then it will unlock and the rpms will jump.

Brdgraf, I agree, feels like my dad's 09 has more low end torque than mine does even though the engines are rated the same. This is what I want, just don't know how to get it without spending big $$$ on tuner and voiding warranty.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM

My Job 1 08 shifts into 5th and locks at 51mph. Never drove a newer 6.4 to see of there's a difference.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Would this have anything to do with rear end ratios? Mine is a 3.55 if someone is looking for a data point.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim Sum View Post
Would this have anything to do with rear end ratios? Mine is a 3.55 if someone is looking for a data point.
I am guessing it has more to do with Ford taking all the complaints about terrible mileage on the 08s. They began offering the 3.55 rear end (my 08 is a 3.73) and they probably changed shift patterns too trying to squeeze out a little more fuel economy.

I just had truck to dealer a few weeks ago for break work. I assume they always give it the latest flash whenever it is in for work. Maybe not?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyl View Post
my 08 f30 dually locks at 43-45 mph unless i have my foot in it hard don't know aboout 4th gear i was told that they don't shift into 4th unless it is really cold out and i count the shifts and most of the time i don't count the 4th shift so it might be jumping from 3rd to fith
There's 5 different ratios in this tranny, but the truck only ever uses 4. There's essentially 2 second gears. They're extremely close in ratio, and one is only used when the tranny is cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.