Just traded my 6.0L for a 2010 6.4L - What to expect/be on the lookout for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just traded my 6.0L for a 2010 6.4L - What to expect/be on the lookout for?

I finally got fed up with my 6."Oh-No!". After this last go-round of the typical 6.0 problems which in the last 3 months have included an EGR valve replacement, a possible FICM going bad and definite injector problems either related to the injectors themselves or the HPOP, I decided to trade my 2005 Excursion on a 2010 F250 Lariat.

The X has just become 'possessed' for lack of a better term. It's at 122K and aside from engine issues, there are several electrical issues going on with it as well so it was just time to say goodbye.

In fact, after living the 6.0 nightmare (in spite of regular maintenance, 0 mods, running cetane, etc..) I'm surprised to find myself back in another Ford PSD. I was dead set on a Dodge Cummins, but the 12K I got knocked off the last 2010 Lariet CC the dealership had and the comfort of a 75K bumper to bumper that I got them to throw in was enough to sway me.

So far from what I've been reading it appears that the 6.4 is shaking out to be a pretty good engine except for some early issues with the Build 1's from 2008. I accept that the mileage isn't as good because of emissions, but is the 6.4 good enough to atone for the sins of the 6.0 and what do I need to be on the look out for. Thanks!!

BTW, it's my first post here - been a long time lurker though. Great Forum!!

-Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Congrats on the new truck. When my truck was stock I was avg about 16.5 mpg per fill up. But I mostly did hwy driving. But as far as I can tell these 2010 trucks should have all the bugs worked out. I love my truck and with the mods I have make a ton of power and I get even better mpg.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Calling all Georgians!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You should've gone with the 7.3L! Haha! Just kidding... I'm also interested in what the 6.4 has to offer. I'm researching this engine platform for a friend, so... I'm definitely subscribed!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
congrats on the truck!! i absolutely love my 6.4. the fuel mileage isn't great because of the DPF. one of the main things that i would be aware of is that a lot of these trucks tend to have radiator issues. i mean there are some exceptions..i know a guy that has over 60K miles and never had an issue, but another friend that had 4 radiators go out in 20K. but the 2010 should have a most of those issues taken care of. and if you want my two cents, if you dont mind throwing down a little bit of cash, go get the spartan tuner and DPF removal. its the best thing that you can possibly do for these trucks. it gives you more power than you could imagine, it runs great, and increases your fuel economy way better than any other programmer out there. i'm running a 6" lift with the 310 tune and can get about 20 on the highway. and the best part about it is if you ever have to take it to the dealership, all you have to do is put the DPF back on and reload the stock tune and they can never tell. i recently took mine in, and they ran three different computers on it and never detected the tuning. as soon as i got it back, it took me a couple of hours to have it all back on and over 500 hp again! hope this helps! hit me up if you have any questions. and congrats again on the truck!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i heard that removing the dpf and kitty void warranties, am i mis-informed?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyceguy007 View Post
i heard that removing the dpf and kitty void warranties, am i mis-informed?
Yes it does but if you put everything back to stock and have a spartan tuner and return the computer back to stock the dealership will never know.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How difficult is it to do that? Should I get a turbo-back system or just remove the dpf?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyceguy007 View Post
How difficult is it to do that? Should I get a turbo-back system or just remove the dpf?
You can do it by yourself but it would be better if you had a buddy to help. And it just depends on how much power you want to back. I did a downpipe back exhaust which is enough if all you plan on doing is tuner, exhaust, CAI. But if you want to back some serious power then get turbo back exhaust. I am planning on replacing my downpipe here pretty soon but I heard that is a PITA to replace.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to cj performance
just do downpipe back.. save you lots of time when putting it back to stock.. my trucks has gotten a new radiator new egr new dpf and whole brand new tranny all warrantied and ive allways had a tuner on it.. just gotta suck it up and change exhaust back when you have a problem. I wouldnt trade my truck for anything
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can go with just the delete pipe, no need to replace the whole downpipe-back setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.