Newbie with a 6.4L from Dmax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie with a 6.4L from Dmax

Well I have been a member for a bit being I can't lie. I am a Ford driver at heart no matter what I say. SO Yes after a few fords in my life I ended with my 05 F-250 6.0L and I did enough damage I blamed the truck. I know I know I suck. Anyway I wanted to venture and did listen to a lot of people. SO I got a 08 LMM Duramax CCSB LTZ setup. Awsome truck dont get me wrong but its been 47K miles and IM yet to find my seating position I like! No joke every day a change. So long story short I got a deal with a friend of mine, and after me saying im in, he gave in today so tomorrow is crunch time to see if I can make it happen. So long as finances work out, i'll have a F-250 2008 CCSB FX4 by weekend. He is lets say no newbie.... so yes stuff done to it but low miles. THat truck with a S&B intake, Flo Pro 5" W/ muffler (Pretty sure that will go), and Spartan tuning. I believe its the 315 max tune right now. Ran a 13.2 1/4 mile once so he knew. ANYway Help me out whats next what do I do and what do I look for that goes wrong. I honestly did this a few times from my 7.3 then my 6.0, now perhaps a 6.4... I plan to acually do a little less than my Duramax... I've done a lot and yes... took a lot before it was at least a strong solid driiving TRUCK... not a caddy. And still deff not a 13.2 drag. So with those mods I ultimatley want her to just last. I am a daily driver and don't beat on it. I do like to have the power when I want it of course to show whos boss. So what is a strong trustworth tune. What kind of mileage are you getting with such mods. ANd I guess suggestions. I'll post pics when its really mine but I can't yet since its not. Its has 20's with 35's.. I LOVE FORD being my 33's with leveling kit rub on my Chevy. I did a LOT to it and still can't wait to have the room and all that awsome interior of the Ford I miss. I plan on 18's with 35's.. I like it a truck. Maybe a toolbox for sure, I love my dual mitre 6" stacks just might not do it this time, I like the bed space for bikes and sleds. Sorry you had to read all this if you do. Help me out minds going NUTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
So what exactly are you asking??
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM

Yea that all got smeared in sorry. Ok here ya go:

-what is a strong trustworth tune with Spartan. (Truck goes up to 315 tune)
-What kind of mileage are you getting with such mods
-Any suggestions for me with 6.4 issues I need to learn of?
-Any cheap easy mods to learn about?
-2" Suspening? Can I get the truck up a couple inches with just spacers an blocks and is it recommened or just leaveit alone
-What is the best upgraded recommended shock

THanks and sorry again. Heres a pic of the truck im trying to get. Again I want to change wheels tires to a real truck setup. I can't do 20's

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroney167 View Post

***I am by no means an expert at this but if you want a reliable DD tune I wouldn't go over 210 but I know some people are running the 310 tune as a DD.
***People are posting anywhere from 16-22mpg so it really depends on your driving habits I guess.
***Some early production 6.4s have some headgasket issues
***Not that i Know of but maybe someone else will chime in.
-2" Suspening? Can I get the truck up a couple inches with just spacers an blocks and is it recommened or just leaveit alone
*** This is the kit i'm going with 2.5" 08-09 Ford F250/F350 Super Duty 4x4 Budget Lift Kit with Bilstein Shocks - Top Gun Customz
***Again see the link

THanks and sorry again. Heres a pic of the truck im trying to get. Again I want to change wheels tires to a real truck setup. I can't do 20's

And thats a good looking truck
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 AM

Great looking truck, what size tires are those?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasin' Tail View Post
Great looking truck, what size tires are those?
Thanks man. Hope Thursday I can go get it! I believe there 35's he told me on 20's. I will be lookin to sell them most deffinetely. I am not a fan, looks good but not me. Need more truck, to street look for me. Also can I get some help on what I need to get this truck up a couple inches? Its just to level for me if I hook up my trailer its gonna sag and look so bad. I like a rake to the truck.

What blocks do Fords come with. Do I jsut put an add a leaf in and then the spacers in the front or do you recommend new coils to add the lift.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

1) A lot of guys run the 310 tune as a daily driver, as do i, but you just have to try and keep your foot out of it. but if you dont want to go that balls out all the time, just stick with the 250 tune. it'll still give you plenty of power, but wont be over the top for just cruising around.
2) I've heard a lot of different things on fuel mileage. Generally what i hear with the 35s and a leveling kit is somewhere around 22 highway i believe. i'm running the 310 tune w/ a 6" lift and 35s and i get about 18.
3) Since you have the spartan set up, you're pretty well set on mods. i can't remember if you said it had a cold air intake, but that would be a start. also you could look into the flo pro downpipe, and also an aftermarket intercooler tube. they'll just help with air flow and lower your egt's.
4) On the suspension, i dont really think i can help you out there. i guess i dont really understand what you're asking.

hope this helps! you're going to love the truck! great choice. and you picked a good looking truck too.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08spartan250 View Post
1) A lot of guys run the 310 tune as a daily driver, as do i, but you just have to try and keep your foot out of it. but if you dont want to go that balls out all the time, just stick with the 250 tune. it'll still give you plenty of power, but wont be over the top for just cruising around.
2) I've heard a lot of different things on fuel mileage. Generally what i hear with the 35s and a leveling kit is somewhere around 22 highway i believe. i'm running the 310 tune w/ a 6" lift and 35s and i get about 18.
3) Since you have the spartan set up, you're pretty well set on mods. i can't remember if you said it had a cold air intake, but that would be a start. also you could look into the flo pro downpipe, and also an aftermarket intercooler tube. they'll just help with air flow and lower your egt's.
4) On the suspension, i dont really think i can help you out there. i guess i dont really understand what you're asking.

hope this helps! you're going to love the truck! great choice. and you picked a good looking truck too.
yea I figured mileage would be about that. My dmax really rocked so as long as I can get like 15+ around town as I did with the chevy i'll be happy. I am good with keepin the foot out. Truck does have an S&B Intake already on it yes. 5" FloPro w/ muffler and Tuning. Its not my first diesel haha. Just comin back to where I belong. Actually blame dad for gettin a used Lariet 08 F-250 black ccsb as I just got. I sat in it and that is all it took! I 2 days later found a home for my duramax and here I go haha. I understand allt he risks of a big tune. My main thing is HEAD GASKETS or any other damage. I like the mileage but if the 310 tune will be doing more damage i'll pass unless I plan on runniing it. Also do you have to deal with tranny relearns like the allison or no. As if I put it from 250 up to 310 do I need to take it easy for a while and go threw soome shifts? Otherwise what is a safe tow tune say I towed 10K tractor a short distance. And took it easy is a 250 tune ok? A dmax would explode and melt if you did that haha!

Thanks for all the info though very helpful. I am gonna leave all suspension alone until I know just what I wanna do. Run her for now. Main thing is having the good power when i want it so im sure the 250 tune is a good time and smokes a bit. I need her to last so less im in the higher tunes the better.

Have some people been getting the odometer up high on the 6.4 yet? Whats life line of these so far and how bad with spartan tuning and crap is it killing it. And yes sorry for the novel just real excited I have this truck coming to me!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sweet pick on a truck man! these 6.4's are really growing on me. too bad im in nazifornia n couldnt deal with the smog bs so i'll stick with my 7.3.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
yea I figured mileage would be about that. My dmax really rocked so as long as I can get like 15+ around town as I did with the chevy i'll be happy. I am good with keepin the foot out. Truck does have an S&B Intake already on it yes. 5" FloPro w/ muffler and Tuning. Its not my first diesel haha. Just comin back to where I belong. Actually blame dad for gettin a used Lariet 08 F-250 black ccsb as I just got. I sat in it and that is all it took! I 2 days later found a home for my duramax and here I go haha. I understand allt he risks of a big tune. My main thing is HEAD GASKETS or any other damage. I like the mileage but if the 310 tune will be doing more damage i'll pass unless I plan on runniing it. Also do you have to deal with tranny relearns like the allison or no. As if I put it from 250 up to 310 do I need to take it easy for a while and go threw soome shifts? Otherwise what is a safe tow tune say I towed 10K tractor a short distance. And took it easy is a 250 tune ok? A dmax would explode and melt if you did that haha!

Thanks for all the info though very helpful. I am gonna leave all suspension alone until I know just what I wanna do. Run her for now. Main thing is having the good power when i want it so im sure the 250 tune is a good time and smokes a bit. I need her to last so less im in the higher tunes the better.

Have some people been getting the odometer up high on the 6.4 yet? Whats life line of these so far and how bad with spartan tuning and crap is it killing it. And yes sorry for the novel just real excited I have this truck coming to me!
I haven't really heard anything about people blowing head gaskets with the spartan. i mean i'm sure its not unheard of..but i've never seen it. and you do have to do a relearn when you switch tunes, but its not bad at all. its just like 6 or 7 passes at different throttle levels. but after that its good. but if you know you're going to be doing some towing and are going to be switching tunes, i might give it a day or so just to be careful. and the spartan comes with a 210 tow tune. so i would used that. i would definitely stay away from towing with anything higher than that. and i've seen some of the odomoters with over 150k on them. i haven't really heard much about the how the spartan affects that life span, but honestly i think it just goes with common sense. you see people all the time that blow their stock truck up with 40k, but its because they're being idiots. so i mean just take care of your truck like you normally would and it will take care of you.

and no worries about the long post. i couldn't shut up when i first got mine either...i still cant. i just keep finding more stuff to do. let me know if you need anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.