Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Help

Need some help calming my nerves? I am a week into my new truck, a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke with a very thirsty appetite. Traded my 07 CTD 5.9 CTD with lots of mods and ready to get-r- done every day, never let me down and got a **** load better gas mileage, even with a lift and 35 murders on it.

My question is, I will probably be deleting the DPF and programmer to shut off the regeneration mode. Just do not have the balls to do it yet in **** hole California. What I need to do is move back to Idaho. Well if I do the delete, do I need to install the EGR block plates or is that just an additional option?

Also, need to know, this is about the fourth time this has happened. When I go to shut off my truck it idles above 1,000 RPM will not go down until I put my foot on the brake. What is this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which high desert are you at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Negley, OH and Morgantown, WV
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert 6.4 View Post
Need some help calming my nerves? I am a week into my new truck, a 2008 6.4 Powerstroke with a very thirsty appetite. Traded my 07 CTD 5.9 CTD with lots of mods and ready to get-r- done every day, never let me down and got a **** load better gas mileage, even with a lift and 35 murders on it.

My question is, I will probably be deleting the DPF and programmer to shut off the regeneration mode. Just do not have the balls to do it yet in **** hole California. What I need to do is move back to Idaho. Well if I do the delete, do I need to install the EGR block plates or is that just an additional option?

Also, need to know, this is about the fourth time this has happened. When I go to shut off my truck it idles above 1,000 RPM will not go down until I put my foot on the brake. What is this?


the egr delete is just an extra option to get rid of another piece of emissions equipment...you will love the milage with your dpf off and a good tune on...even my cummins buddies are impressed with the milage im getting...

as for the 1000 rpm, it could be the truck going through regeneration where it cleans the dpf, im not positive on that though but they do have a high idle when they are parked and in regen..

have faith the 6.4 is a whole new monster when the dpf comes off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My truck is a 2008 6.4 4WD with 33k on it. The DPF delete kit I probably be getting will be from Gear Box Z. The Ford Plus model. I would like to run this one as I like the price.
Gear Box Z

I understand I do not need to plug off the EGR if I do not tune it to run like a grape ape, is this true. I ask because I do not have the factory warranty as the time has expired on the truck but when I traded, the Cummins in I bought a $2,500 after market warranty. I do not want any problems if I need to take it in to Ford. With the DPF, I can just pull and set computer back the head in to the shop. The last thing I want is to remove EGR plates.

2010drive I moved to California because I am a government contractor working on GSE gear for Navy Aircraft. Some day though I will cut strings and bounces out of this state.

One last thing does your MPG read out higher then your math. My truck says 14 my wife’s math says 12.5 WTF. Please do not tell me I pulled a stupid when I traded my Dodge in. No just joking I have total faith in Ford; it is just that I have a huge learning curve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Member
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
from everything i have heard the MPG on the dash is a liar!!!! I havent checked mine yet but reading some threads on here and talking to some of my buddies the dash is wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert 6.4 View Post
My truck is a 2008 6.4 4WD with 33k on it. The DPF delete kit I probably be getting will be from Gear Box Z. The Ford Plus model. I would like to run this one as I like the price.
Gear Box Z

I understand I do not need to plug off the EGR if I do not tune it to run like a grape ape, is this true. I ask because I do not have the factory warranty as the time has expired on the truck but when I traded, the Cummins in I bought a $2,500 after market warranty. I do not want any problems if I need to take it in to Ford. With the DPF, I can just pull and set computer back the head in to the shop. The last thing I want is to remove EGR plates.

2010drive I moved to California because I am a government contractor working on GSE gear for Navy Aircraft. Some day though I will cut strings and bounces out of this state.

One last thing does your MPG read out higher then your math. My truck says 14 my wife’s math says 12.5 WTF. Please do not tell me I pulled a stupid when I traded my Dodge in. No just joking I have total faith in Ford; it is just that I have a huge learning curve.

If I were you, I'd steer clear of the DPF-R. I looked into it when I did the delete, but there's some strange button you have to press as you start the truck each time I think. Also, with higher tunes you can get better MPG. You should look into the H&S XRT tuner, it's relatively low priced, and has a couple of tunes on various power levels from 0-120hp extra over stock. Or, you can go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a Spartan or a H&S Black Maxx with the big tunes, it seems like everyone that starts small eventually does. I've got the SCT Livewire, and I'm sure here soon I'll be upgrading....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,680
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please don't buy that Gear Box Z delete kit. Their track record is not real good.

The thing on the dash? It's called a lie-o-meter for a reason

There are several other better solutions for DPF removal, for not much more money than that, and with better mileage, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HAWAII/IDAHO/WASHINGON
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well if your originaly from IDAHO then you SHOULD move back but if NOT maybe you should STAY where your at lol,

answer: any tuner w/dpf delete and you will never have anything bad to say again ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAHO View Post
well if your originaly from IDAHO then you SHOULD move back but if NOT maybe you should STAY where your at lol,

answer: any tuner w/dpf delete and you will never have anything bad to say again ;-)
Guys, unless you live in some county other than ADA or Canyon county here in Idaho, you will have to start getting them tested. Canyon County is being mandated to start the emissions testing like ADA county has done for a while now due to presure form the governement to clean up the air quality in the valley or loose the federal highway funding and since the predominant wind blows from Canyon county into Ada county, they are now having to do it as well. I am thinking hard about doing it to as I see plenty of trucks driving around with the deletes so they must be switching back for the testing or passing it with it installed. I think they have also changed the laws for new vehicles which only requires them to plug into the diagnostic port and look for any emmisions related codes. If there are no codes.....you pass!

Anyone in Idaho want to confirm the emissions test process....My truck is only a month old so i havent had to do one yet.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors