MPG and Towing Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG and Towing Question

I've had my new red crew cab 2010 350 for 3 weeks and have 2250 miles on it. I'm getting 14 mpg--is that in the ballpark? (yes, I'm a Newbie!) I traded in a 250 6.0 and was getting about 17 mpg. My husband and I are thinking of upgrading our travel trailer (bumper pull) to a 36' Fuzion 5th wheel--anybody tow a big rig like that? Can my 350 handle it? Ideas on what my gas mileage will be while towing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org!

14mpg hand calculated or going by the meter? If it is calculated is pretty good for a stock truck. I get around 11.5-12 on my stock f250 and 8-9mpg towing 9k.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hand calculated. I hope we will get 8-9 towing! On my old 250 my average was around 7. We've towed once with my new 350 and got 6.4. Does a 5th wheel improve mpg? I don't know which figure to use for towing. Our current trailer is speced at 6250 dry, 11K gross. We usually haul a couple of full size ATVs as well. Thanks for your response.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 AM

We have a 34' fiver I pull with my 250. I think a fiver pulls better than a bumper pull. Before I put the Spartan on the truck, I got 9.5-10.5 mpg. Now I can get close to 13 if I drive sensible!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 36' Cougar fiver that is 9700 dry. Loaded with all the essentials I am sure it is pretty close to 11,000.

My 08 6.4 gets 11 mpg hand calculated at 65mph while pulling the fiver. Mine is a completely stock job 3. I am expecting it to break in even more ( only 5600 miles on it as I type) and maybe gain another mpg.

Empty with the wife and kids ( 3 year old and 1 year old) I get about 16.5-17 hand calculated at 70 mph.

The F350 will have no problem with the Fusion. It will pull like a dream. The tow/haul mode really is great.

Go upgrade!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 AM

I pull a Weekend Warrior SLC3505 with my Jeep in it total weight @ 28k truck included & pulls great! When pulling I get @ 7-8 mpg running @ 65 mph empty I get 13-14 running 60-65 mph! I removed my over loads & installed air bags run @ 40 psi for a smooth ride! Truck pulls the load OK, handles the load great,the only complaint I have is in the mountains I feel I could use more braking power but the Banks Speed Brake is going to fix that, & yes I use Tow/Haul mode! Enjoy your new truck & welcome!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I pull a 32' Hearland Sundance 5er'. and get @13 mpg on the highway using my SCT and a tow tune from Doug at DJ's. I think I have heard that Vivian is still doing programming. You won't have any trbls towing with a 6.0. See my mods below......Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.