Transmission Questions: Filter and Interval - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Questions: Filter and Interval

All- 2008 Job 1 F-250 6.4 CC SB with about 31k on the clock. Last weekend I had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced with the new Mercon LV.
Question #1:
I've been used to doing services at 30k, but with the new fully synthetic fluid can I run this stuff to 60k? I would rather not continually dump good fluid and waste money.
Question #2:
I have the external transmission filter. I just bought a new one online and it should be here today. I was planning on buying a bottle of fluid (just in case- for refills) and swapping filters this weekend. I also bought the line removal tool (saw the part # on one of the really old threads). Has anyone else done this themselves? The tool they sent me was this cheap little plastic clip. I was expecting a metal tool similar to the tool used to remove a fuel filter on a gas truck.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can answer part of this. The tool is cheap plastic. On mine, i had to use a crow bar to get enough pressure on the lines for them to come loose. This is because they are put together dry and can be a bear to get loose. Lube them up good when putting it back together. The dealer claims that you need to change the external and internal filter at 60K miles. I did both at 30K. The internal filter is basically a screen, and mine at 30K was fairly clean. However, the magnet on the oil pan had about 1/2 teaspoon of black junk attached to it. Don't know about synthetic, ford is picky about fluid specs.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks Brada. That really helps. I got this little plastic thingie (for 12 bucks before shipping) and was amazed to see what i got in return. How big of a crowbar did you use?

One last question, i already had the fluid changed so im changing just the filter. I had this done last weekend and was told that the external filter would cost 130 just for the part. How much fluid should I have on hand to replace what will inevitably leak out when i change the filter.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I mailed ordered my filter from Amazon, about $80. You will need a small crow bar, just enough to get leverage off the bell housing. You need small pressure such that you put pressure on the lines and wiggle them until they come loose. Do not bend your lines! Maybe you will get lucky, my dealer told me some are easy and some are tough the first time they are changed. Only a 1/2 quart came out of mine. Yup, $12 is a rip, put it in your glove box when you are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.