Purchased 2010 6.4, have some newbie questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Purchased 2010 6.4, have some newbie questions

I just purchased a 2010 F250 6.4, Lariat 4x4. What an awesome truck! I know absolutely nothing about diesel engines, but I love driving this truck so far. I have always driven F150's, but our new camper was not fun to drive with an F150, hence the upgrade. There are some great deals on new 2010s right now, i got $16k off sticker without much fuss.

Since this is my first diesel, and dont know anybody else with one, I have a few "newbie" questions. The truck did not come with an owners manual, the dealership is supposed to be sending me one, and I dont have much confidence that the salesman knew what he was talking about in his quick walkthrough. I have spent several hours reading through this forum, so I have a basic understanding of the new DPF emission system.

1. The salesman mentioned I need to let the motor "cool down" before I turn it off. He said to idle it a couple minutes before shutting it down. Is this necessary all the time or maybe only after hard driving?

2. He said not to tow anything until I have 1000 miles on the engine. I was hoping to take our camper out this weekend, will only have about 350 miles on it by Friday, do I need to really wait before towing my 6K camper 200 miles to the lake?

3. Idling....he said if I am going to use the truck again in 30 minutes to just leave it on, its better on the engine and fuel. Is this true? How much fuel does this engine use while idling? I know diesels are different than gas in this area, but dont know exactly why. How long can I safely idle the engine, say if I wanted to catch some sleep in it.

4. Are glow plugs really $1,400 each? When warning me about starting the engine until the glow plug light is off he said it was a very expensive repair.

5. When should I get my first oil change, in my gas engines I have always done the first one at 2k miles or so.

Thanks for any help, and feel free to point out any other things this newbie should know about the switch to diesel. Its going to be weird pulling up to the green pump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

1) after long driving or towing, get a gauge set up so you know your egt temp, that will help decide if it needs to cool.
2)towing the camper should be okay, its really your choice, i would try and run my truck a little more since at that point its still in break in mode
3)not sure about this one? if you let it cool down it should be fine, just if you keep starting it and let it run without driving soot will form,. i think it would be better off, maybe im wrong.
4)not sure, but check engine light comes on if u dont, its just annoying
5) personal prefernce i did 2k, then now i do about 5 depending on how busy i am
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM

id say your going to love your diesel, eventually i would take the dpf off, the difference is night and day, if you love your truck u will like it ten times more...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
I just purchased a 2010 F250 6.4, Lariat 4x4. What an awesome truck! I know absolutely nothing about diesel engines, but I love driving this truck so far. I have always driven F150's, but our new camper was not fun to drive with an F150, hence the upgrade. There are some great deals on new 2010s right now, i got $16k off sticker without much fuss.

Since this is my first diesel, and dont know anybody else with one, I have a few "newbie" questions. The truck did not come with an owners manual, the dealership is supposed to be sending me one, and I dont have much confidence that the salesman knew what he was talking about in his quick walkthrough. I have spent several hours reading through this forum, so I have a basic understanding of the new DPF emission system.

1. The salesman mentioned I need to let the motor "cool down" before I turn it off. He said to idle it a couple minutes before shutting it down. Is this necessary all the time or maybe only after hard driving?

2. He said not to tow anything until I have 1000 miles on the engine. I was hoping to take our camper out this weekend, will only have about 350 miles on it by Friday, do I need to really wait before towing my 6K camper 200 miles to the lake?

3. Idling....he said if I am going to use the truck again in 30 minutes to just leave it on, its better on the engine and fuel. Is this true? How much fuel does this engine use while idling? I know diesels are different than gas in this area, but dont know exactly why. How long can I safely idle the engine, say if I wanted to catch some sleep in it.

4. Are glow plugs really $1,400 each? When warning me about starting the engine until the glow plug light is off he said it was a very expensive repair.

5. When should I get my first oil change, in my gas engines I have always done the first one at 2k miles or so.

Thanks for any help, and feel free to point out any other things this newbie should know about the switch to diesel. Its going to be weird pulling up to the green pump!

1) Always good to let it cool down - ESP when towing are using the truck hard - I try to let mine idle for at least a minute or two no matter what, but not always the case when just doing normal driving.

2) I thought the break in period was 500 miles, but not sure.

3) let mine idle if I am going to be driving in the next 10 minutes or so, anything over that, I shut it off.

4) - No idea on cost of Glow Plugs.

5) I went 5k, and intend on all future oil changes at 5k, and fuel filter changes at 10k.

Watch the video on this link - It will be helpful.

superduty
Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Hello! and welcome to the .org, im sure as you already know there is a wealth of info here... but to answer your questions.

1. Yes the truck does need to idle down for a minute or two after driving, this is to let the EGT (exhaust gas temperature) come down and allows the turbos to cool down helping to prevent premature wear and tear by not rapidly cooling and heating the bearings inside of them. Most people say that you only need to do this after driving the truck hard or far, I do it all of the time since its not a big deal to let the truck idle down for a minute considering the amount of money turbos cost.

2. I wanted to go tow stuff with mine day one, owners manual said to wait 1000 mile til I towed anything so I did that, I personnally would wait until the 1000 mile mark to tow that much weight. I understand that you bought the truck to tow with but these engines do need some unloaded break in time.

3. On older diesels it was recommended to just let them idle if you were going to be running it in 30 minutes, on these new diesels fitted with the emissions systems DPF, EGR, etc.. it is not recommended to let them idle. Idling can cause the DPF to become clogged and ford can look into your ECU and check out your idle time to see if the truck has idled for too long causing DPF failure. Obviously if you were sleeping in the truck and going to freeze I would say screw the DPF and stay warm, I'm sure your local service manager would understand your resoning behind that.

4. No clue on the price of a glow plug, but you definitely want to wait until the light is out to start the truck, I have yet to see my glow plug light stay on more than 30 seconds though.

5. The service manual recommends a first oil change at 5,000 miles, I did my first change at 3,000 miles using Delo 400 oil. It is cheap insurance on a very expensive motor so I saw no reason not too. Also when doing my first oil change I take my fingers and run them through the oil as it comes out of the pan to see if I can feel any grit or foreign debry in the oil. My oil was silky smooth when it came out.

Enjoy the new truck and I'm sure other members will chime in with their opinions on break in as well!

Post some pics if you get a chance!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

1. Engine cooldown is important to extend the life of your turbos in general. But a couple of minutes is overkill, 30 seconds is usually enough on these engines.
2. You are supposed to break in the engine for 1000 miles before towing so noting gets abnormal wear.
3. This is a touchy subject, some people say let it idle as long as you want, others say it will wet stack, so go with your own judgement.
4. Glow plugs are not that much, but not a fun job to do.
5. I change my oil every 5K mi. But some people go up to 10K after the first change. I suggest the first one around 2500 miles and go from there.

And by the way, welcome to the .org
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the great info everyone, and the great video j21black, that helps alot. If it is recommended to wait 1000 miles to tow, I have no problem doing that. Since I wasnt given an owners manual, I wanted to double check the sales guy I cant wait to put this truck to the highway with a load, its going to be alot of fun.

One followup question on idling. How much fuel does it use, say I leave it idling for an hour so i can get a brake from the heat. Does it "sip" fuel, or is it going to use a significant amount.

Here is the only pic I have of the truck right now, a crappy cell phone picture from right before I drove her off the lot

Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 PM

I did my first oil change at 2500 then at 5000 and 5000 ever since. I also change both fuel filters at every other oil change. When you get your owners manual you will see 2 scheduled maintenance tables. I go with the 2nd (severe duty?) because from what I understand Ford believes if you do much towing at all you should use it to stay within your warranty. I also have done oil samples at every other change just to have a baseline in case of trouble in the future. $20 to have it tested is worth it to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

That's a great looking truck and you are going to enjoy the heck out of it. If your trailer is only 6000 LB. I would try to get at least 650 to 800 miles on it before I towed in any mountains. Don't use cruse control when pulling the RV if it's having to down shift very often.
I have never heard how much fuel our trucks use while they are idling, I have upfitter switches on my truck and if it idles over 3 minutes I flip the fast idle on.
You know that you bought the truck to tow with, so go ahead and put a good set of gages on it. I let my truck cool down to 400 before I turn it off.
Good luck and enjoy your truck.
Doug
Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I assume the gauges are for monitoring various temps while towing. Any recommendations on a set of gauges? Assuming they are digital and plug into the truck somewhere?

So there is a fast idle switch somewhere, and I need to use it if I am going to idle more than a few minutes? I havent seen that switch yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.