First long heavy haul - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First long heavy haul

I recently hauled my toy to Destin Florida(no oil and beautiful water) and back to Delaware, about 1100 miles one way. The truck pulled fine. Gas mileage was what I thought it would be, around 8mpg doing 70-75. My boat and trailer come in at about 11000lbs. I did have a hitch in the transmission shifts I might have to get looked at though. When the truck downshifted going up a hill it would shutter and vibrate for a few seconds and then settle down. Not sure I have a problem but may. Just wanted to post my results. The truck is completely stock except for leveling kit. Still love this truck and it is a beast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

WOW nice boat man, glad the truck pulled well. Also glad to hear there wasn't oil on the beach either.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM

That's a heavy boat!
I also recently did my 1st long haul (17,600lbs combined weight) and the truck performed great. I did a little over 3k miles. Mine is not stock though....my average mpg was 11.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to FireZapper Send a message via Yahoo to FireZapper
Mine has a shudder towing while it is raining. I figure it is just hydroplaning.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Vehicle: 2010 crew cab 4x4 6.4 PSD auto trans
Mileage of tow: 2k
Weight of load: 8k

I too experienced the "shudder" you mentioned, but based on everything I have read/experienced about the notorious EGR problems, I think it's the EGR.

If I let off the throttle and stepped on it again, the power returned, and it seemed to "stay in gear" if you will. I think once I let off of the EGR changed positions and returned the power. I was also pulling on a hot July day from MS to FL back to MS which would be a higher likelihood of something happening.

It sounds weird I know. Try doing an EGR/DPF delete to your vehicle and post the results. Not to mention the fuel mileage should go up once the mod is done. I suggest using an SCT programmer so you can avoid having the check-engine light.

Thanks and hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too have been getting "the engine shudder"/shaking you've all described and then a big puff of white smoke out of the tail pipe after it "clears". All the times have happened at a point where I was going to pass another vehicle on the hwy. Curiously it has been rainy out when this has happened. My truck is still bone stock - 2009 6.4L with about 11,500 miles.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM

I got the "shudder" this past Sunday. Happened a few times when downshifting going uphill. No rain or smoke. Was pulling 8500 lb fifth wheel. Other than that it pulled great with some 6-8 percent grades. Will take it in after holidays but still curious whats up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.