TPMS sensors & air pressure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TPMS sensors & air pressure?

I just had the Stealer sync my new sensors in my new wheels, and as usual, they put 75 lbs in the front, and 80 in the back. The truck rode like garbage, so when I got home, I aired them down to 60/70 and the low pressure light stayed off for 40 miles or so, then came on while driving down the freeway. I came back home and aired them back up to 68/75 and the low pressure light still is on. Does anyone know of a work around to keep the light off at a lower pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most likely either your gauge is out of Cal or a sensor is out of cal. I have heard of others going to that pressure to soften them up. I really don't know about the TPMS other than the one in my wifes car, and it need to be driven after the refill.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

The sensor is being triggered by your front tires. They are still too low. The TPMS only allows a very small pressure difference from the programmed pressure. There is no way around the TPMS. You can pull the light out of the instruments cluster but you'll still get a warning on the Message Center every now and then. I would air up the front to at least 70psi and allow at least 20 minutes of driving for the light to go off.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM

you only need 65f and can get away with 70-72r on the 350. and you will need to reset your sensors. and being you got a 350 the reset tool is in the bag with owners manuel. I run 60f-70r and don't have any problems with the tpms light. i think they have up to 10% befor they trip the light. But i do know that after any adjustment in psi i have to reset the sensors.

edit: just saw you got a 2010. i don't think the 2010's have a tool to reset the sensors like the 08-09 f-350's did. I think it's a relearn deal with driving or something. and factory 350 is 65f-80r where the 250 is 65f-65r. someone with a 2010 will chime in.

Last edited by wired1; 07-06-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yup, 2010... no reset tool for these trucks. I'll try the re-learn today, but I'm not sure that it will change anything. I'm waiting for Autoenginuity to come out with the software for the 2010 SD's, based on the 08/09 software, it looks like the TPMS pressure is an adjustable field that it can change. I asked the service manager to change the pressure values, and he said they couldn't blah, blah, blah...

thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
yup, 2010... no reset tool for these trucks. I'll try the re-learn today, but I'm not sure that it will change anything. I'm waiting for Autoenginuity to come out with the software for the 2010 SD's, based on the 08/09 software, it looks like the TPMS pressure is an adjustable field that it can change. I asked the service manager to change the pressure values, and he said they couldn't blah, blah, blah...

thanks everyone for the replies.
Were you successful in lowering the pressure threshold on the sensors? I would like to drive at a lower psi than the sensors will allow and am looking for a solution. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nope, still living with 60 Front and 72 rear. That seems to be as low as my sensors can be set without triggering the pressure fault.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:12 AM

I run 60 all the way around and have no issues and have run as low as 55psi...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

2008's and 2010's have different sensors. The 2010's have the sensors integral to the valve stems, and as I understand it, won't run at lower pressures.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM

Please oh Please someone find a way to fix this. I have low pressure light too. My Toyo's max pressure is 65. I'm not going to pump them up like air baloons just to put the light out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.