P0284 code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0284 code

P0284- Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance Fault. I just changed my oil and my fuel filters. I did the ol 6 times for 30 seconds to get the air out of the lines, and drove it about 3 miles to test a steering alignment adjustment. Parked it and hadn't driven it in a week. Started it up this evening to move it around in the driveway and from the moment I started it I knew something was wrong. It was shaking a bit, kind of had that old cammed-up Camaro feel to it. Drove it up the street to see WTF, turned on the DashDaq real quick and read the code... about $hit my pants- my buddy just had #8 injector replaced in his 6.0 (I think it was 8) and it was cab off at the dealer... and cost several thousand bucks. So all I can think of was I got a piece of dirt in the fuel line and it F-ed my injector.

So I cleared the code, and punched it a couple of times (which was probably not real smart but what the heck) scanned it again. No code. Spent 3 hours washing it. Started it again. Scanned... no code. Runs normal.

Should I be worried? Bought this truck with 27K on it. Has 32K now. Has always ran fine. Has anyone had this code and ended up with a big mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 PM

get it in to the dealer before 36k and get it checked out. An injector issue can melt down the whole engine if it isn't stopped soon enough!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Injectors covered under diesel engine to 100k.

Injectors on any PSD have never been cab off, so your buddy got hosed, if it was just an injector replacement.

You MAY have introduced air into the fuel system, but typically it wouldn't run poorly enough long enough to trip any codes.

Monitor it and see if it comes back. I'd suggest putting the truck back to stock before you bring it in, unless you have a dealer that's modification friendly. Also, if it DOES happen to set a code again, please don't clear it, it makes it very difficult to have a diagnostic path otherwise.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:24 AM

I'm thinking (hoping) it was just air. I pulled a small trailer for 30 miles this weekend and had no issues. And the code didn't come back. Possibly, eventhough I cycled the fuel system 6 times as directed, I got a bubble in there that wouldn't come out because of how I park in my driveway- front end up a hill.

I wish I knew if my dealer was Mod-friendly. Not alot of guys around here with tuned trucks from what I can tell. I should do some asking around. There is one performance shop about 20 miles away but they specialize in Cummins/Dodge mods. And obviously no warranty work from Ford.

I have a 2000 mile trip planned in 2 weeks. I'll just have to keep running it and keep an eye/ear on how its running. Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.