biodiesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:48 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question biodiesel

i think i may not know how to operate a search engine.ive looked in the bio section and here and in the 6.4 performance area only to retrieve minimal information.so what i am wondering is there any issues with pure bio in a tuned 6.4?is anyone doing this?i can see why it would be bad in a untuned dpf on truck.i know that cylinder wash with dino diesel is bad and that bio is bad enough by itself without an engine throwing more in for regeneration.so if any of you guys are running bio in your trucks i would like to know about it.any issues you have had to include filter changes,oil changes and the likes,small to large anything.also please be so kind as to list what grade bio you are running and if you stepped up tank by tank (ie b5 to b20 to b50 to b100).thanx for all the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm pretty sure they can't handle over like 5 or 20% b/c of the injectors.

I personally avoid bio like the black plague
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM

I run b20 in all of our engines, we have never has a fuel related problem and have been using if for 5 or 6 yrs and burning prob 75K gallons a yr in everything from a 6.4 and new deere engines to older cats and cummins. In my opinion most of the bad rap it has gotten is bs made up by the oil companies so you wont use it, when it first came out there were no national standards and there was some bad stuff being put out there, but for the last few yrs ther are standards jsut like dino fuel. All of the bio we use is made from soy oil, I dont know anything about all the other kinds out there.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

thanx for the info
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 AM

I'd be a little concerned about running straight bio in a 6.4 because of viscosity. The injection pressures on these trucks is WAY up there. Blend up to 20% on a DPF-deleted truck I wouldn't fear, though.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I agree with popo, I would run b100 but I have run b20 in stock 6.4s and new duramaxs, but all the 6.4 are deleted now, and didtn have the duramaxs to long.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM

i found this..reading up many say b20 is the most, ford recommends no more than b5.

2 years old so may have changed some.
B100 BIODIESEL FOR 6.4?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUTX01X View Post
i found this..reading up many say b20 is the most, ford recommends no more than b5.

2 years old so may have changed some.
B100 BIODIESEL FOR 6.4?

Ford's recommendation of B5 assumes that you're running a DPF and therefore have regen cycles. I'd stick to Ford's recommendation if that was the case. On a DPF-delete truck, I'd be comfortable with running B20.

Honestly, in a pinch I'd probably run anything. For instance (I notice you're in Houston) if we have a hurricane come through like Ike again, and I can't find diesel....I'll load the 'stroke up with WMO, WVO, and anything else I can find if its just for a few days to get by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.