First Oil Change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Oil Change

Ok, I seem to be having to make a descision and I need help. I just picked up my 2010 F250 Lariat 2 weeks ago, and the salesman said that the first service should be done at 1000 miles, he explained that his dealership is "old school" since they have been in business here on Long Island for 61 years that they like to get the factory oil out with any shavings and anything that was filtered out of the engine at 1000 miles. Well, I hit 1000 miles yesterday and I called them up and asked what was done at the first service, the receptionist on the phone said that they do an oil change, I asked how much the service would be and she said around $180.00. I thought that was very high, since I took my 2004 F250 to another dealer for oil changes on occasion and I paid around $130.00. I called my previous dealer and they told me not to have the oil changed until 5000 miles, that it was a waste of money. So, my question is, do I have it changed now or wait until 5000 miles? Also, I will probably change it myself, what oil is recommended to use? Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

5000 miles, and every 5000 miles after.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

5K miles, and every 5 after that if you use conventional oil. If you choose to use synthetics then I would say stick with the recommendations of the oil manufacturer.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 AM

If you still have the dpf and emissions stuff on don't go past 5k as the oil dilution get's unacceptable. No matter what kind of oil you use...
Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 AM

The dealer is just being extremely careful. They have a point about metal floating around. But the newer engines now days should have closer tolerances than the engines say 25 years ago. But I'm no engineer. Do what you feel most comfortable with.

I recommend, motorcraft filters.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel dilution issue is a problem, but not all trucks have that issue. IMHO if you want to find out if your truck has this issue, once you have reached an acceptable interval, say 4500 miles, perform oil analysis at least the first time to determine if your truck is one of those that will have this issue.

The trucks that will have the issue more than others are those that are daily drivers that do not get run for long enough periods for the exhaust to get or stay hot enough to burn the soot out of the DPF with "PAssive Regeneration". These trucks due to the minimal miles driven often are the ones that go into "Active Regeneration" more often and thus have the fuel dilution issues. If you work your truck, or drive it more than just a few miles per day going back and forth to work, you will most likely not have this issue as the truck will burn off the soot naturally or "passively" from the heat of the exhaust.

However, it is always a good idea to have oil analysis done at least once to determine whether your truck and driving style are those that will use the Active Regeneration mode to clean the DPF.

I also agree though, that this is the case, no matter what oil you use, the oil itself has little to nothing to do with the fuel dilution issue, some oils just protect better than others in diluted conditions.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM

I'm quite sure this horse has been beat to death

But, why does the Ford factory manual state 10k miles? Most posters here seem to have pretty strong opinions that 5k is the way to go. Is this just an ultra conservative approach or what?

In sme ways, it feels a bit like a pitch. And of course that sales guys all say "yeah, 10k is the interval unless you are towing all the time. This offsets the higher cost of oil changes compared to a gasser". One stealership I caled said 5k, the other said 10k.

I'm a PSd newbie, and I do want to make sure I'm doing things right, but I also tend to take a moderate approach over an ultar-conservative. Just looking to understand this a bit better.

Mike
Old 05-24-2010, 10:10 AM

At 5K I switched to syn and my dealer has me coming in every 7500 based on how the oil looks.

The 10K is for what they call normal driving, not heavy or extreme driving so no stop and go traffic, no towing, no dusty roads, etc.. Most trucks aren't driven in that manner so they are subject to the more frequent oil changes.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

every 5K here
Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4racin View Post
The dealer is just being extremely careful. They have a point about metal floating around.
Or they could be trying to get a few more dollars through their shop. Whether you want to be that careful is up to you.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.