New guy looking for specific advice... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question New guy looking for specific advice...

I have been reading for a few weeks, and went and bought a 2010 F250 Crew 4X4 with the 6.4/Auto. Anyway, there are a few things that concern me and I need some advise on which way to proceed.

I have been reading about oil analysis on these new motors and the fuel in the oil, and metal shavings scare me a bit. Now, the metal shavings during break in on a new motor may be expected... not so sure about that. But, the amount of fuel that seems to be washing down the cylinder walls during regen makes me think my truck won't be around to see 200K. And, for $50K, I need it to live long and prosper.

It appears the only solution is the the DPF/CAT Delete with a programmer. However, it is a catch 22. If I do what needs to be done to ensure longevity, I lose my warranty. However, if I don't the motor may take a dump on its own from fuel contamination in the oil.

So, this is my delimma. I have a few more questions...

What is the fine is I get hassled by the police in Texas?

If I put a programmer and dpf delete on the truck and end up with an unrelated warranty issue, will the dealer know I had a programmer on it if I return it to stock before delivering it to the shop? And, will the dealer deny a warranty claim due to the fact a programmer has been installed at one time?

I have also looked at the race ready performance exhaust dumps thinking I could re-route the exhaust around the dpf and cat for "offroad use only-wink" amd then I could just activate the sylinoid and let the exhaust free flow around the cat/dpf. Has anyone else tried this? Of course, this would be harder to get back to stock for warranty issues, but it might get you around the legal issue of having no cat/dpf.

Also, is it illegal to remove the CAT itself from the diesel? I wonder if I would be better off just leaving the Cat on and doing the DPF delete that way during inspection, at least they will see something under the truck other than the muffler. What is your opinion on this?

Sorry for all the qestions, and I know some of you are going to say search the forums. I have, but have not found my specific questions. So, please excuse my ignorance and show me so a little mercy just this one time??

BTW - I just installed 35X12.5-20 Trail Grapplers that the tire shop swore would not fit on my truck. Thanks to this web-site, I ignored the tire expert and the tires fit great and do not rub at all.

Thanks!!

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSims View Post
I have been reading for a few weeks, and went and bought a 2010 F250 Crew 4X4 with the 6.4/Auto. Anyway, there are a few things that concern me and I need some advise on which way to proceed.

I have been reading about oil analysis on these new motors and the fuel in the oil, and metal shavings scare me a bit. Now, the metal shavings during break in on a new motor may be expected... not so sure about that. But, the amount of fuel that seems to be washing down the cylinder walls during regen makes me think my truck won't be around to see 200K. And, for $50K, I need it to live long and prosper.

It appears the only solution is the the DPF/CAT Delete with a programmer. However, it is a catch 22. If I do what needs to be done to ensure longevity, I lose my warranty. However, if I don't the motor may take a dump on its own from fuel contamination in the oil.

So, this is my delimma. I have a few more questions...

What is the fine is I get hassled by the police in Texas?

If I put a programmer and dpf delete on the truck and end up with an unrelated warranty issue, will the dealer know I had a programmer on it if I return it to stock before delivering it to the shop? And, will the dealer deny a warranty claim due to the fact a programmer has been installed at one time?

I have also looked at the race ready performance exhaust dumps thinking I could re-route the exhaust around the dpf and cat for "offroad use only-wink" amd then I could just activate the sylinoid and let the exhaust free flow around the cat/dpf. Has anyone else tried this? Of course, this would be harder to get back to stock for warranty issues, but it might get you around the legal issue of having no cat/dpf.

Also, is it illegal to remove the CAT itself from the diesel? I wonder if I would be better off just leaving the Cat on and doing the DPF delete that way during inspection, at least they will see something under the truck other than the muffler. What is your opinion on this?

Sorry for all the qestions, and I know some of you are going to say search the forums. I have, but have not found my specific questions. So, please excuse my ignorance and show me so a little mercy just this one time??

BTW - I just installed 35X12.5-20 Trail Grapplers that the tire shop swore would not fit on my truck. Thanks to this web-site, I ignored the tire expert and the tires fit great and do not rub at all.

Thanks!!

Greg
Your right sayings its a delimma and covering the Delimma so thoroughly...thanks.

I can only reply to your metal in the oilpan and filter during breakin. question.
There will be more metal dust and very small particles during breakin but not shavings or chunks . If you see shaving'S in your oil a component may be wiping out. If you see small chunks, obviously a component is breaking up.

Im interested in hearing comments on your questions too
Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

A friend of mine fit 37s with only a leveling kit. Rubs a little when cutting the wheel really hard. As for the warranty stuff, Ill let someone else answer. I have been wondering about some of the same things. I figure the DPF/CAT delete Tuned is worth it, withe the fuel milage and power gains.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I forgot to say PLEASE?! What, do you people have jobs and personal lives?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller??
Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 PM

I'll show you some mercy.....the only way to find out is ask the questions! That's what I did when I joined the forum.
Welcome to the org

It may be illegal to remove those items. It depends on your state laws for emissions and vehicle traffic laws. I'm not sure but I'll bet the EPA would fine you too.

Ford will void your warranty if they learn you tuned your truck.

I'm hoping that the regen doesn't burn these motors up because of the regen and this process does make oil.

I change my oil every 5k, fuel filters at 10k and air filter at 7500 miles per the special driving junk in the manual. I even keep fuel receipts because the older rail filters allowed water to pass thru to the injectors, causing them to blow up and Ford would void the warranty.

All this being said, IMHO, just do what they tell you and you should be fine. My truck had some issues but I still love it.
Hope it helps

Last edited by Shinny; 05-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:46 PM

Can't help on the questions, but enjoy that truck and drive it like you stole it!! After all, it is under warranty (HEHEHEHEHE). Wish I could afford a 07+
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. My DVD says to change my oil every 10K anf fuel filter every 15K for normal use. I will only tow maybe 400 miles a month and my driving is almost all highway... no stop and go traffic and no dusty conditions.

I am still worried about fuel in my oil. That just can not be a good thing. It may survive the warranty period, but what after that?

What is the likely hood of the Cat/DPF delete with a low HP tuner causing engine issues? What is the mechanical downfall of doing the delete? Other than the loss of warranty.

I want this to be a 300K truck. What is the best avenue to achive longevity?

Also, if you add a programmer and then go back to stock for warranty, can they tell the programmer was in place and deny a claim due to this?

Please have pity on the ignorant.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have the diablo sport tuner on my truck, i took it to the dealership for egr cooler replacement. i programed it back to stock settings before i went to the dealership and they didnt say anything so i assume they didnt know it was progrmmed. As for the DP delete u gotta check local DMV laws. here in jersey i registered my truck at 10,001 pounds so i dont even need inspection. And ur truck will love you for the dpf delete.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSims View Post

Metal shavings don't seem to be an issue it's the extra fuel that is the main problem. Other then yanking the DPF and putting a tune you can solve it by making sure you let the vehicle to a complete regen. If you shut the vehicle off in the middle of a regen, it tends to let the fuel drain through the rings and into the oil pan as heat dissipates and things tart to cool down and shrink. If you are up to speed and the truck can complete the regen, then you shouldn't have any problems with fuel going into the pan and raising your oil level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.