Test Drove a 6.4 and 6.7 today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Test Drove a 6.4 and 6.7 today

all in my opinion,
i test drove both trucks today, the 6.7 first, and was not really impressed with the 6.7, went to engage the locker and it worked, then wouldnt disengage for a couple minutes. it could have been this truck, i do understand that and all trucks are different. i was impressed with the 6.4 and how truck like it felt, i tested the 4wheel drive on both, just on some curbs and they both performed about the same, one problem with the 6.7 was it would not engage right away again, the 6.7 probably has more computers on it that take time to tell everything what to do. i know this whole description seems like it should be in the 6.7 forum but my main question is would buying a 6.4 be a mistake with the new 6.7s or is it preference, what are your opinions?
thanks
-Bubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

If you are looking to get rid of the exhaust garbage then I would go with the 6.4 right now. My opinion might change as the 6.7 proves itself but this is my recommendation for right now. If you are looking for a stock truck with a warranty, go for a 6.7
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM

IMO the 6.4 would be the way to go at the moment. The 6.7's are gunna have a couple glitches that every new vehicle has in the beginning... The 6.4's are tried and tested and I love every aspect of mine!

Theres no way in hell I would drop almost 60 grand in a new 6.7 when you could get a nice 6.4 for half the price!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_Ford View Post
If you are looking to get rid of the exhaust garbage then I would go with the 6.4 right now. My opinion might change as the 6.7 proves itself but this is my recommendation for right now. If you are looking for a stock truck with a warranty, go for a 6.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminspower11 View Post
IMO the 6.4 would be the way to go at the moment. The 6.7's are gunna have a couple glitches that every new vehicle has in the beginning... The 6.4's are tried and tested and I love every aspect of mine!

Theres no way in hell I would drop almost 60 grand in a new 6.7 when you could get a nice 6.4 for half the price!!!
both exactly my thought, especially the cost, i would rather have something that is tried and true than something that is still in testing. i am going to tune the truck and lift it so i would be getting rid of the exhaust garbage. i did like the 6.4 better because it felt more solid and stonger. i was surprised with how well it took just going over the curb in 4 wheel drive as well, the 6.7 was a little bit strange going over it, the 6.4 was much better, it is a kind of hard to explain the feeling but i did like the 6.4 much better. i like the gauges and the center console of the 11s though, is anybody trying to put those in a 2008-2010?
thanks for the help
-Bubba
Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Love my 6.4. Smooth, has been running flawless, and lots of power. I look forward to each and every time we hook up the travel trailer
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqoair View Post
Love my 6.4. Smooth, has been running flawless, and lots of power. I look forward to each and every time we hook up the travel trailer
yeah, im going to be towing a 28ft trailer during the summer and i liked how smooth the 6.4 felt, also how when you got up in speed the sound of the engine is great!
thanks
-Bubba
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM

6.7 You'll get the trailer sway control, better fuel economy, locking diff etc, but you'll be paying out the nose for it. You'll get slightly worse fuel economy with the 6.4, but it's about the same fuel economy as a F150. I'd love to get the 6.7 but I can't justify the cost. I picked up my Harley Davidson model for $55k Canadian last year brand new, and I bet a fully loaded 2011 King Ranch would set me back about $75-80k. The Harley model won't be out until 2012 when they prove them selves to be worthy enough for Harley to badge them.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
there isnt anything wrong with the locker..thats just how they work...you must be going in a straight line with no presser on the drive train
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonpower View Post
there isnt anything wrong with the locker..thats just how they work...you must be going in a straight line with no presser on the drive train
yeah, i had figured that out after a couple rocks back and forth, it had eventually worked, i watched as it engaged on the little screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqoair View Post
6.7 You'll get the trailer sway control, better fuel economy, locking diff etc, but you'll be paying out the nose for it. You'll get slightly worse fuel economy with the 6.4, but it's about the same fuel economy as a F150. I'd love to get the 6.7 but I can't justify the cost. I picked up my Harley Davidson model for $55k Canadian last year brand new, and I bet a fully loaded 2011 King Ranch would set me back about $75-80k. The Harley model won't be out until 2012 when they prove them selves to be worthy enough for Harley to badge them.
though true, and it is nice to have it all factory installed, all of that you can get from aftermarket companies. i am not worried about trailer sway because my trailer stays pretty strait as it is but the fuel economy was not impressive, on the 6.7 truck that i drove i was getting 10.2 and on the 6.4 i was getting 8.6, 2 miles per gallon is not a big deal to me.

thanks
-Bubba
Old 05-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Oh, and don't even get the guys started on Spartan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.