Opportunity??????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opportunity???????

I think I already know what response I am going to get from the community here. But I'm new to the forum and I have never owned a diesel pickup. I have received a quote from a dealer to buy a 2010 F-250 Lariat 4 X 4 with leather, you name it. All of the toys. It is a demo with 2800 miles on it. 8 foot bed extended cab. It is a beautiful truck. Price quoted = $41,623 plus taxes and registration. Would I be crazy not to jump on this?????? I have heard of some issues regarding fuel use and turbos. Any merit to this in your opinion???? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not a bad price, but they can go a bit lower i think. As far as issues. First: ask for the service report for that vehicle, if there were no issues with it, it should be ok despite the low mileage. Second: it was a demo soooo chances are it was not treated well nor was it probably broken in correctly, so keep that in mind too. You can get that same truck brand new for 46,000 depending on your negotiating skills and how badly you want the truck If you do decide to go with the 6.4, then most of us here will tell you that its a great truck, hands down beating the competition in fit and finish and motor strength. Things you should do to protect your large investment would be to first: install a fuel/water separator kit i.e. Air dog $500. Second: Buy a Spartan, about $1500.. I didnt buy mine for the extra 275 hp 450lbs torque, but its nice I bought it to stop the regen cycle from happening, which all new diesels do by the way. This is a EPA thing that is killing our MPG and all other "new" diesels mileage and perhaps the longevity of this AMAZING engine, by having excess fuel enter the oil system. From my research Spartan is the only tuner that isnt easily found by the ford system; however there are some savy techs out there so keep that in mind. By no means am I saying you MUST tune your 6.4 (it CAN void a good portion of your warranty if its tuned and brought into ford services for warranty work and it was the tuners fault... you play you gotta pay). You just have to keep up on your monthly maintenance schedules and keep a sharp eye on your oil levels.
I believe you said you are new to diesels. If that is the case you must do your research. There are allot of extra things you NEED TO KNOW that differs from gassers. This site has a wealth of knowledge and some damn good techs that are willing to answer questions.

I hope this helps in your decision making process. Honestly I would see about a NEW 2010 first before i'd get a demo. But if the price is right, the warranty is right and there were no major issues in that vehicles history, then go for it.

BTW... I love my 6.4.. its truly a awesome all around vehicle. It just needs some minor tweaks to make it perfect
good luck,
Dom

Last edited by strivingfirst; 05-05-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM

I think you could get the vehicle cheaper. Dealers around Memphis area are selling new 2010 lariats with a 55k sticker for 42k.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea I agree that the price isn't a steal, especially for an extended cab long box. You should be able to get a crew cab brand new for that or close to it. The market has gotten stronger since I bought mine in '08 but I paid $38K for a brand new truck that stickered for $52K.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the deal I was looking for. I paid that for a 2010 XLT extended cab long box. Love the truck though.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I paid $42k for my Crew Cab brand new. MSRP was $55,500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.