Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Highest miles on a 6.4? Interim from Navistar, nope, this one is a strong motor!!

93K views 128 replies 86 participants last post by  Evil Eye 
#1 ·
Someone referred to a Post about blowby on a 6.4 with 475,000 miles? I can't have that right. He would have had to shift drive it with a crew 24/7 :woot:

So what is the highest miles, any Contenders?

#6 ·
The one guy who used to be one here alot richardanddawn he had an 08 and the last i had heard he had almost 100k. He pulled a 53ft car hauler around. That was about 1yr ago or longer, so he could be close to 150k if he kept the truck. I don't think he liked it.

#8 ·
To keep this Thread going, here is the inside track, insider information, and a treat for you......
This may go against the "Trend" and fly in the face of few that have had problems, but I am not a bad Mechanic and Engineer and this is also my synopsis of owning and following about 125 Fords with our Bushtracker Owners:

1) The 7.3 both IDI and the PSD were great engines, dirty, crude, noisy, but great solid engines and were only stopped because of EPA Emission Controls... Both my IDI and PSD went strong, never had a real problem, and carried on for the next Owners..

2) Again, maybe fly in the face, but the 6.0 was also a good engine baring a couple of points: The Emission Controls were weak, up on their maximums with the EGR coolers in particular; and the head bolts and gaskets were not up to taking high performance tunes. You could rectify both, and when you did, the 6.0 was a solid performer. I owned 2 of them, 06 and 07 King Ranch F-350 Duallies... The EGR coolers were a weak design, over heat and over pressure with a tune and they had problems and some had problems with running stock. My impression is that 95% of all problems with the 6.0 was caused by running higher horsepower tunes by the Owners... This however, because people would not admit to it, this gave Navistar a black eye for what was basically a pretty fair engine.

3) Now I have only limited experience and study, and only 13,000 kms on my 09 F-450, but with my Contatcts I have an inside man from the Australian Import and Service Company, and one in Texas at a Dealer. My conclusion from the studies of the Engineering and the records on 85 trucks in Australia and a few hundred in Texas is that Navistar went OVERBOARD on building the 6.4 PSD to save its reputation. It was NOT an interim engine as some call it. From the redesign of the EGR Coolers, to larger head bolts, to bed plate to support the lower end, to improved head gasket designs, we have a GREAT engine from the old "International Harvester" Company... Here were (are) the discovered flaws:

A few job one trucks had an oil cooler problem, faulty castings that came apart, Ford came good on that one... Have not actually seen any of those, so this is second hand.. The sensors in the exhaust are finicky (get the back one and carry it as a spare, read the code and swap it out, clear the code.) The only other major weakness is the new high pressure fuel system is fragile if you get bad fuel and water gets to it. (Got news for ya, ALL brands/models have the same problem with the new ULSD high pressure systems and it is a $12,000 repair on Cummins, $7000 repair on the V-8 Landcruiser, $10,000 repair on the Duramax, and exotics like BMW and rest can be more expensive yet.) Run a water separator filter addtion to your stock filters. I run my diesel into a 240 litre tank and pump out from there through a water separator filter with a clear bowl to watch for water and pump into my main tank. A perfect design would be a Racor or Dahl clear bowl water separator filter before the Ford ones but I have not done it (Yet). Drain your lower filter out a few ounces once a month and look for water in the bottom of the sample in a cut clear coke plastic bottle type of thing... Run clean diesel, and you eliminate 90% of the potential problems.

We have a GREAT engine. It is possible that Fords 6.7 is going to be good, but International Harvester "Navistar" now, in my opinion built us a great engine. It will be years before we know if the Mexican built 6.7 is going to hold up with consistency and quality control..

This is my .02, but it is worth a heck of lot more than that, as I do this R&D Professionally on behalf of my Clients at Bushtracker... I also have spent over $150,000 A$ about $130,000 U.S. $ on a new F-450 King Ranch with the right hand conversion, new dash, new steering and all the rest; and added Air Brakes over the hydraulics, air suspension over, and upgraded the GVM to 7500 kg. You do not spend that kind of money lightly...

Anyway, there is my Professional report and opinion. I may stick with my 09 F-450 as the new ones have gone to smaller diff, smaller wheels, smaller brakes, and just upgraded an F-350 with the Fugliest fenders on dually since the 1950s... :hehe: My King Ranch 4x4, has 19.5 wheels and heavy steel in commercial truck tyres, bigger brakes, 10 stud wheels, and a Dana 110 diff that looks like it came out of a Semi...:hehe::nod: I may dig in right here and make a stand.

Please update this Post with high miles reports. Lone Ranger in Oz....

#20 ·
Bump....:bump:

I would like to keep this going now and then... Personally, I think we have dynomite engine here, in the fashion of the old International Harvester Company, and despite a few minor problems with job 1 engines, the later ones are VERY good. We need to rethink selling them until there are high miles on the "Mexican 6.7" he he just kidding, but we might have the latest and greatest in the 6.4...

I know I love mine. Running top end lube in the ULSD now 4000 kms of TC-W3 marine outboard motor oil 200 to 1 in my diesel. (Clean exhaust clear through). Anyway, the lower end in these is VERY strong. So if we keep the top end lubed, this could be another legend 500,000 mile engine. Keep the water out of your fuel, run clean diesel with lube in it, and change the oil regularly and it may out last all comparisons... :thumb:

#11 ·
Yes, while Navistar is still using a 6.4 it has a compacted graphite (or whatever) block similar to the new Ford 6.7. Not sure if the rest of it is the same as our 6.4's or not. Plus, they are not using DEF but an upgraded EGR type system that they believe is as good as the DEF system but less expensive to operate.

#13 ·
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :icon_ford:

#25 ·
It would make no sense that Ford could produce a problematic engine while trying to recover from the 6.0 poor design. I believe they went into Overkill and Bullitproof mode with Navistar on the 6.4.

The reasons for the split was financial, political after the Huge warranty coverage issue with Nav. over the 6.0's.
From what Ive read This new 6.4 engine will dominate The commercial Diesel market worldwide in the years to come.
The 6.4's for the 08-2010 ford SD's did not get the compacted Graphite Block, Thats the major difference from the Nav 6.4 engines on the world market today.
My 2centavos.

I love this truck:woot:

#27 ·
165,000 miles on my 2008 6.4 King Ranch 4x4. Only problems so far was a faulty exhaust sensor ford fixed at their expense and on my 3rd radiator (New, 40,000 and 160,000). Ford bought the first two radiators third cost me $1,200. Changing oil every 10,000 miles and fuel filters every other oil change.

#29 ·
176,000 on the 08 i just bought and its bone stock

#31 ·
I just hit 187,k onmy 08' went through a dpf problem an about to have to do the original batterys the truck pulls as hard as ever an starts like a champ everytime.

#33 ·
Hello again from Down Under,

It is that Cowboy again, da lone Ranger... heh he... Long time no hear from, but I am still here..

STILL, Lovin my 09 F-450 CC, DRW, 4x4, now 35,000 on the clock and still not a flaw... And, with a hundred Chevs and Dodges coming through here with Clients, I still ain't seen nuttin better. :thumb:

They keep trying to sell me one of those 6.7 Fords, but I HATE the cut in half doughnut fenders look.... And my 6.4, no Cat, no DPF, Spartan Tuner, my 6.4 is still running about the best fuel economy out there... This 09, is the last of the big running gear in a King Ranch...

LOVE IT. May just have to keep this one until the wheels fall off. And being the last of the BIG RIG, Dana 110 Diff, King Ranch, 10 Stud wheels, ain't gonna have the wheels fall off any time soon... heh he...

:icon_ford::woot::thumb:

#34 ·
I am picking up my 2008 KR 4x4 CCSB Job 3 today :) !!!

76k miles looking to get a solid 300k out of it :) :icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.