Thinking of getting rid of the Cummins for a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of getting rid of the Cummins for a 6.4

Hey guys! I have recently been thinking of getting rid of my 08 Ram 2500 with a 6.7 for a 2010 6.4 There are some really good deals out there right now and I like to have new trucks every few years. I was hoping to get some feedback from you all( as PS owners) on what to look out for with the 6.4.

My cummins has 30k trouble free miles. Of course it's had the DPF deleted and all the other goodies. So I would definitely want to do that with the 6.4. The 6.7 cummins is a great motor and I like it. It just may be time for a change. I just want to make sure I am not heading in the wrong direction. Yes, I realize this is a PS forum and most of you prefer the PS to the cummins. However, I would like to hear any likes or dislikes you have with the truck, motor, tranny, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I've seen, the 6.4 has a nicer interior for one.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
there really isnt much to look out for on the 2010's..the early job 1 08's had some radiatior issues that were taken care of by job 2...the transmission can handle insane amonts of power in stock form, you can run a 250 hp tune as a dd without even worrying, i run a 310 on a stock tranny as my dd without a problem, the stock headbolts are holding up fine to the drive pressures of the tunes...there have been a few blown headgaskets with the high hp tunes...but you gotta pay to play, if you can get a dealer to insall arp's under warrenty then you are golden...

plus we have a way nicer interior:ford_icon:

if you do it you will never regret the move...im getting about 17mpg in town hand calculated and about 22 highway hand calculated with just an intake, straight pipe, and the 310 tune
Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Yeah, the interior is definitely better than mine. I have heard the trannys are better too. That's the weak link in the Dodge.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

I made the change in Jan '10 from a '05 Ram 3500 to a '10 F350 & I can tell you first hand there's no comparison in the trucks F350 is way nicer & sturdier pulling my toy hauler! The power is hard to get used to for a Cummins guy these PS's like the RPM & aren't scared to run on the top side of the tach! My company also owns a 6.7 that my brother drives & we've had 65k miles trouble free & it runs very strong,but the interior is a joke compared to my Ford!Hope this helps! Later
Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 PM

6 weeks ago I traded my '08 2500 6.7 Laramie for a '10 F-250 6.4 Lariat. The Dodge was my first non-Ford truck ever. I loved it, but at 67,000 miles and the deals they had on the '10s it made financial sense to upgrade now. I had the H&S XRT on my Dodge. The low end grunt is lacking on the 6.4 when compared to the 6.7 cummins. They just run different. I have the H&S on my Ford already (I only have 4500 miles on it). I couldn't drive it stock after driving the Dodge modded for the last 1.5 years. This 6.4 will kick some butt with the H&S setup on it! I was able to get the Ford for $5000 less than a comprable '10 Dodge. If they were closer in price I would have bought another Dodge.

Last edited by 70mach1; 04-28-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more information added.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM

I'm in the exact same boat. I have the xrt running the 175 tune now and I am very pleased with the power. I was mainly concerned about the towing aspect of the PS vs the cummins. The cummins does have a lot of low end grunt that I really like when towing. I have heard the PS run like crazy with just a tuner and exhaust.

70mach 1, do you think the ps has more power now that you've tuned it than the cummins and would you give up the 6.7 if you had it all to do over? I'm sold on the interior and I like the looks. I am mainly concerned about pulling power and any quirks these trucks may have.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 PM

I think that the quality of the Fords is much better overall. The power is amazing on the PS with the H&S tune. I really like the functionality of the Black Maxx. I don't know how much weight you pull, but I recently put a 10k gooseneck (trailer and 6 round bales) behind mine. It pulled great with no concerns of lack of power. The Ford feels more stable and is easier to handle on the hiway as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM

I imagine since the fords are a little heavier that helps with the towing stability. The one things I really liked about the Fords is the tranny tuning the Black Maxx has. Does the Ford have a high idle function like the Cummins has?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM

Forgot to ask; do the Fords have any front end issues like the dodge has with ball joints and suspension parts or any other quirks like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.